February 2023 hatch-a-long

I also have 2 pips - surprisingly its the pointed egg that I didn't expect to hatch and the smallest egg (49g only) that is also very narrow. So perhaps not enough room to turn properly at some point because those pips are from the wrong ends. So, having im mind, that such a pip is like a double pip, I'm treating them as internal pips. It means that zipping will possibly start much later.

Number 3 is out: First Easter egger to hatch.
B87EDE8A-E4E9-4F0C-AD7F-8E8104DA0425.png

I had an egg hatch 7 days after rest hatched on time. My broody left the eggs after 11 had hatched, so I scooped up the remaining three and put them in the incubator. Two stopped, but this last one, I could see clear movement, so I left it for a couple days, came home and their was a furball in the bator! It must have been another hen laying an egg in this nest. It was pretty crazy 😯
Wow that's amazing!

I have an egg that pipped on the bottom toward the middle. It was leaking fluid and there has been no activity. It pipped overnight. What should I do? Could the chick have died or just taking a long time to unzip?

Attachments

• 17330C18-FDBD-42CE-A9A0-247BD7109B67.jpeg
    17330C18-FDBD-42CE-A9A0-247BD7109B67.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 2
I have an egg that pipped on the bottom toward the middle. It was leaking fluid and there has been no activity. It pipped overnight. What should I do? Could the chick have died or just taking a long time to unzip?
I am such a pessimist when it comes to eggs and excess fluid, sorry 🙈
Did you pick up the egg and there was no activity, chirping or anything? Or just the egg "hasn't done" anything since when you discovered the pip?

I always encourage people to NOT help an egg. Some one new to hatching would probably listened to a "Helping thread" and try and "Help" an egg at first wiggle. All I can do is tell them to sit on their hands. Or at least ask someone before getting into the egg.
People do what they want to do, then ask for help later.

Below I have the light green egg who is on day 22 in a separate incubator, it was in the air cell, but I gave it a safety hole, and now it will rest for 12 hrs, before I touch it again.
I did finally toss the dark green in the corner, it quit. The other 3 go into lockdown on the 22nd.

1z.PNG

Three pips, all located well into the air cells, and some peeping, but no action other than that. Considering it's just now Day 20 based on when they went in, I figure these chicks are just going to take their time. I do think it's funny that the three who have pipped are from my two top-of-the-pecking order hens. I can't wait to meet them!

Having the incubator next to my desk in my home office is making for a very unproductive workday....

Back
Top Bottom