February 2024 Hatch-Along (A time for ♥LOVE♥!!)

Pics
So, candled today as I had these shipped eggs end up in my hands and decided to take a peek at our beloved eggies! Sad to say, we say goodbye to 18 eggs :( Life is life... and here we are.

Today we say goodbye to: @CoopBoots's Moxie/Max, @GreenJay's Bliss, @NorthwoodsChick's Shimmer, Lacey, @2ndTink's Pearl/Pete and @Antiocheggers's Jack and Sally.
Darn, but it happens.

Ooh, a rolling hatch, I like those, so much excitement crammed back to back with hatching 😃 and I'm not risk adverse when it comes to trying to hatch eggs, you gotta try, you never know what may end up hatching 😊

Oh no so sad!
I know! I was so excited about the amount of Olive Eggers too.
Darn, but it happens.

Ooh, a rolling hatch, I like those, so much excitement crammed back to back with hatching 😃 and I'm not risk adverse when it comes to trying to hatch eggs, you gotta try, you never know what may end up hatching 😊
It will be my first rolling hatch! Very nervous!!!

Ok friends what is a rolling hatch? Why does it make you nervous?
So it is often called a staggered hatch, you set eggs one day and maybe a few days later or a week or more, so you have eggs at different stages of development going in the same incubator. Then you have to manage lockdown and hatching. It is easier if you have one incubator for incubating (lol) and one for hatching. I just did one in December with eggs 6 days apart, I ended up leaving the younger set of eggs in the incubator through the higher humidity of the first hatch. No issues! I have the Brinsea Advance with the little egg baskets so I removed all baskets but one, put the lockdown eggies on the base of the incubator, and moved the one basket to the end and left the auto turner running. I was worried how it would work, but it was fine.

Last edited:
Ok friends what is a rolling hatch? Why does it make you nervous?
So exactly why @2ndTink said. I, however have a cheap Little Giant and alledgedly, having a staggered/rolling hatch increases the hatch rate considerably. I am in the maeket for a better incubator but my foam box functions well enough.

So exactly why @2ndTink said. I, however have a cheap Little Giant and alledgedly, having a staggered/rolling hatch increases the hatch rate considerably. I am in the maeket for a better incubator but my foam box functions well enough.
I'm still confused if you only bought 12, they supposedly send you two boxes at the same time but the P.O. only told you about one and let the other one sit there? If you didn't pay for these second ones, then bonus if you even hatch even one of something, but how do you know they are chicks? Maybe they're little reptiles? :confused:

salamander fossils GIF by gifnews

:gig

Back
Top Bottom