Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
So I have 6 hatched and 7 to go. I don't see any pips right now. Should I try to get the 6 out and put them in the brooder or just leave it. It's getting crowded but when they lay down they seem fine.

They are likely fine, but if you do want to take then out, doing it with no other pips is the best time. Just be sure to refill your water/sponges when you do it.

Assisted the breech this morning - it could only unzip partially since its' body was facing the right direction but the head was wedged into the end of the egg between random appendages instead of under a wing. I untangled it an popped it back into the incubator to finish on its' own. Momma duck, in the meantime is having no better luck. Her first hatcher unzipped and was on its' way out when it died in the shell. She actually did move that one off of the nest... 3 pips to date, 3 problem hatches. 83% fertility is useless if the ducklings can't get out of their eggs on their own... I get better numbers with shipped eggs.
th.gif

So her fate is sealed. No more of her own babies. She can brood eggs from other birds, but anything else she lays will grace the breakfast table...

Too bad! How many more eggs is she sitting on?
She has another 7. Somebody has either just hatched or is in the process because there was peeping coming from the nest box about 5 minutes ago. I will have to wait until she moves to see what happened under there, since I don't want to mess with her while she is in lockdown. Now that breech baby isn't tangled up it has been slowly working out of the shell, a promising sign - I didn't have high hopes for a malposition like that, but there is much wiggling, kicking, and occasional stops to nap and/or preen. I'm cautiously optimistic!

I love the idea of imprinting! I'm going to have to try it! Sounds like it might be too late for some of my chicks. It's got to be the first 24 hours? Cute duckling!!!
I saw you had a pip last post but couldn't quote it for some dumb reason. Hoping for the best for you! I had a bunch die really close to lockdown this time. Like 30%. I wonder what causes that?
Any action? I was in your shoes yesterday!

Nothing when I left for work this morning :/ I had mentioned earlier that my gut feeling was that these would take longer cuz they seemed a little small when candling on day 18 (or *gasp* maybe not make it
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
). So now it's just the heart wrenching wait :/

I love the idea of imprinting! I'm going to have to try it! Sounds like it might be too late for some of my chicks. It's got to be the first 24 hours? Cute duckling!!!
The earlier the better, although I have had shipped chicks (over 24 hours old) imprint to me as well. This duckling is totally bonded with people, and although it is beginning to walk and explore today, always scurries back to the closest human for reassurance and safety. It just discovered that my laptop gives off heat, squeezed under it, and is now sleeping soundly under there...

Well, Chick Days at the local feed store and so DH went and got a friend for the solo one hatchling White Marans. Had to get two chicks because if the Marans is a boy, well, the companion chick needs to have a companion. (See how chicken math works? It's all about rationalization...)

Newest additions are Annie the Ameraucana and an as-of-yet-unnamed Minorca.

Back
Top Bottom