Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
6 into lockdown, 6 chicks! 4 NJs and 2 IABs. Last one is still drying in the incubator (IAB) but I moved the other 5 to the brooder where they explored, had lesson #1 about foodstuffs and water, and are now tucked down under the hot plate. It is a bit cool in the house today with it being -20 windchill outside. I tried to get some pictures, but not many are very good. Definite art to it I don't have yet!! But they're cute little fuzzes, the cats think so too!

6 into lockdown, 6 chicks!  4 NJs and 2 IABs.  Last one is still drying in the incubator (IAB) but I moved the other 5 to the brooder where they explored, had lesson #1 about foodstuffs and water, and are now tucked down under the hot plate.  It is a bit cool in the house today with it being -20 windchill outside.  I tried to get some pictures, but not many are very good.  Definite art to it I don't have yet!!  But they're cute little fuzzes, the cats think so too!

Bekkan, can you spell out the breeds for me. Just curious. Also I noticed some have patches on their heads...are these sexlinked? Congrats on your cuties!!

[COLOR=800080]RainbowChick[/COLOR]
Don't despair. Do what you can. You sound very attentive and should feel proud of your efforts, knowing you did your best. If the chick lives it will probably have lots of character,  I've seen fainting goats.  Maybe you will have a stargazing chicken!

[COLOR=A52A2A]I must say that I am impressed with everyone's ability to keep track of each egg and quickly remove chicks!  I hope I can do the same.  Is anyone marking/banding chicks when they come out?  If so what are you successfully using and where did you get it?[/COLOR]

The chick is doing better! So much so, that it is out of isolation and getting along with the other two again! It has really earned its name of "Lucky"!

For distinguishing chicks, I'm not the best example (as I only had three actually hatch), but I started with pedigree baskets. I had two blue eggs and one pinkish one (barnyard mixes). I had the pink one separated, but then as they all started hatching, I noticed it had a single comb, whereas the other two had pea combs. So I knew then that I didn't need to separate them anymore.
Once I have a larger group (setting again on Saturday), I'll use the pedigree baskets again (silkies in one, Ameraucanas in another), then put rainbow loom bands on their legs once they hatch to further sort them as needed.

Mama has 18 babies! She hatched 10 out and I pawned the rest of the incubator chicks on her. She loves every single one of them and got excited each time I brought out more. I've got 2 more for her once they get walking better and then I'm on to my next hatch!

She is living in the garage where I can heat it with the barrel stove due to single digits and negative windchills and colder weather tomorrow with lows of -11.

Mama has 18 babies! She hatched 10 out and I pawned the rest of the incubator chicks on her. She loves every single one of them and got excited each time I brought out more. I've got 2 more for her once they get walking better and then I'm on to my next hatch!

She is living in the garage where I can heat it with the barrel stove due to single digits and negative windchills and colder weather tomorrow with lows of -11.

That is great!!! what a nice pile of chicks! Is she a Cochin? Frigid here too! Stay warm little ones!

Day 21 on 17 mixed/mutt eggs. I have had 12 to hatch and waiting on 4 more that have pipped/zipping. One hasn't done anything yet...not sure about it, but there is still time.

Also have 4 eggs that are RIR and Black Sexed Link (I hope) that are on Day 19.
16 out of 17 mutt chicks made it
ya.gif

#17 was to big and couldn't pip the shell
sad.png

But overall a good hatch...I'm pleased!

Back
Top Bottom