Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
they are! 44 eggs :eek: that's a lot! how many chickens do you have so far?

Right now I have 24 in the backyard lol
I started off with 7 chickens in 2011... I have had up to 35 chickens at one time (a lot for the size of backyard I have) plus 6 turkeys... Gotta love chicken math. :)

Btw... I'm not sure if these eggs will even develop embryos. I stored them in the garage & wasn't very good at turning them. We've had crazy hot/cold weather this winter. Last week we had weather ranging from 78*F all the way down to 15*F... so I'm not expecting that many to hatch honestly, which is why I set so many eggs in the bator.

Last edited:
Right now I have 24 in the backyard lol
I started off with 7 chickens in 2011... I have had up to 35 chickens at one time (a lot for the size of backyard I have) plus 6 turkeys... Gotta love chicken math.
smile.png

Btw... I'm not sure if these eggs will even develop embryos. I stored them in the garage & wasn't very good at turning them. We've had crazy hot/cold weather this winter. Last week we had weather ranging from 78*F all the way down to 15*F... so I'm not expecting that many to hatch honestly, which is why I set so many eggs in the bator.

All the best with the eggs. I'm also not sure how many of mine will hatch they got rained on when the duck abandoned them. I haven't mastered the courage to keep turkeys yet but I plan on increasing my chickens this summer, I will be looking for hatching eggs.

All the best with the eggs. I'm also not sure how many of mine will hatch they got rained on when the duck abandoned them. I haven't mastered the courage to keep turkeys yet but I plan on increasing my chickens this summer, I will be looking for hatching eggs.

Turkeys were a bit more challenging. I brought home 6 poults, the biggest one died at 3 months, just put on too much weight too fast I guess. Necropsy was fine. I gave them tons of cayenne powder in their food & water to keep the blackhead away... They lived harmoniously with the chickens until we butchered them in Nov. :)

I just got done candling my eggs...
22 developing,
11 not sure (marans & olive egger eggs),
12 clear so far.
I separated the ones that were clear so I can check them in a few more days. The others I'm just going to leave alone. The 2 eggs that I thought froze on Thursday when I went to collect, are surprisingly developing. Hopefully they hatch.

Good luck with your eggs too. I haven't had to deal with a fickle broody yet, hopefully I won't!
My homemade incubator is so unstable, so I'm borrowing a little giant incubator from 4-H.

Turkeys were a bit more challenging. I brought home 6 poults, the biggest one died at 3 months, just put on too much weight too fast I guess. Necropsy was fine. I gave them tons of cayenne powder in their food & water to keep the blackhead away... They lived harmoniously with the chickens until we butchered them in Nov.
smile.png

I just got done candling my eggs...
22 developing,
11 not sure (marans & olive egger eggs),
12 clear so far.
I separated the ones that were clear so I can check them in a few more days. The others I'm just going to leave alone. The 2 eggs that I thought froze on Thursday when I went to collect, are surprisingly developing. Hopefully they hatch.

Good luck with your eggs too. I haven't had to deal with a fickle broody yet, hopefully I won't!
My homemade incubator is so unstable, so I'm borrowing a little giant incubator from 4-H.

I think I have 6 eggs developing and the others not sure, I let them be for another week and candle again.

I would like to join the hatch. I have 12 eggs in the incubator. 2 green 1 olive 1blue 1 white 7 different shades of brown. I have 7 different breed roosters so don't know how they will look. My candler needs a battery so this hatch will definitely be a surprise.

PM sent... filling the Hova bator tomorrow morning with my backyard mix of chicken eggs. Incubator is up and running and hold a steady 101-102 temp... Don't track humidity, I do dry hatching
big_smile.png

PM sent... filling the Hova bator tomorrow morning with my backyard mix of chicken eggs.  Incubator is up and running and hold a steady 101-102 temp... Don't track humidity, I do dry hatching :D

What incubator do you use? Im using my 4200 for the first time and trying a lower humidity but ivd heard a lot of positive results with the dry incubating method.

Back
Top Bottom