Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
I have sort of a "duh" question. Has anyone ever hatched a Bantam rooster crossed with a standard breed hen? I have an OEG Bantam rooster that has been mating with my "so called" Lavender Orpington, and I was wondering could I end up with Bantam's or standard's or maybe both. What could they possibly look like? Out of my 34 eggs, I have 6 of those in there.
Emmm...yeah i have done it before!! BUt they were Basrnayrd Mixes!! Well... most of the chick (8/9) were like half sized chickens...1 was a standard sized onw!!!

Actually just did this - my Sultan roo found a way to reach my breda hens. I have 1 chick in a brooder now that is, simply, ADORABLE and will probably be standard size based on how big it is now. And her name is Ella (Fella if it's a rooster...) :D

Actually just did this - my Sultan roo found a way to reach my breda hens. I have 1 chick in a brooder now that is, simply, ADORABLE and will probably be standard size based on how big it is now. And her name is Ella (Fella if it's a rooster...) :D
gig.gif

I have sort of a "duh" question. Has anyone ever hatched a Bantam rooster crossed with a standard breed hen? I have an OEG Bantam rooster that has been mating with my "so called" Lavender Orpington, and I was wondering could I end up with Bantam's or standard's or maybe both. What could they possibly look like? Out of my 34 eggs, I have 6 of those in there. 

Seems like that would be fine. Although, just as a general rule, you don't want to cross a standard roo with bantam hens. It's easier for a smaller chick to grow in a larger egg, but much harder for a larger chick to grow in a smaller egg! The concept is the same with lots of different animals- you always make sure the male is smaller to minimize problems for the female or offspring.

Emmm...yeah i have done it before!! BUt they were Basrnayrd Mixes!! Well... most of the chick (8/9) were like half sized chickens...1 was a standard sized onw!!!

Awww I bet he/she is darling!!
Seems like that would be fine. Although, just as a general rule, you don't want to cross a standard roo with bantam hens. It's easier for a smaller chick to grow in a larger egg, but much harder for a larger chick to grow in a smaller egg! The concept is the same with lots of different animals- you always make sure the male is smaller to minimize problems for the female or offspring.
That makes sense. I'd never thought of it that way, but I don't think I would even let me standard roo's mate with my bantam hens. I'm sure others have done it, but I'd be too afraid he would hurt her. I have a little Black Dutch Bantam hen, but she just starting laying this week. I have to be honest, I was tempted to try hatching her eggs, but I don't want to take the chance of complications with the chick. They are fertile though!! I'm already contemplating my next hatch using hers!!
big_smile.png

Day 9.. decided to candle as tomorrow ill be busy...16/41 were not fertile... Frustrating! I changed up roosters last month and am paying the price, I just hope they get it all figured out before the spring rush is selling hatching eggs!

24 have action, one with a wonky air cell... all are sold, going to reset as soon as they are hatched

Hi Everyone!
I set 31 eggs last week, a mix of silkies and seramas. I am mostly interested in the seramas, I bought them on ebay and then bought the silkies as an insurance policy in case I only had like, one serama chick hatch since they are notoriously so difficult. Turns out though that I'm having better luck with the seramas so far! They were shipped from Mass. and were packaged excellently while the silkies were shipped from NY (where I live) and weren't packaged quite as well. I also cracked 4(!) of them while trying to set them in the little metal rows the brinsea incubator gives you, which has never happened before.
I candled my eggs for the first time the other night on Day 7. I am SO pleased to report that all of my serama eggs (except maybe 1) appear to be developing well! Not having such great luck with the silkies but that's okay. I tossed 6 of the silkie eggs that weren't developing and one had a blood ring. Interestingly 4 of the silkie eggs that didn't develop were all right next to each other in the last row in the left corner in a line. I always do little egg-topsys just to be sure and because I'm nosy. I never toss an egg though unless I am 100% sure it isn't developing. If I'm unsure I always leave it and hope for the best. I still have 26 eggs left! I've never hatched such a large amount before so I'm pretty excited! I took some pictures with my phone that didn't turn out great but here they are:

Day 7 Silkie

Day 7 Serama

Day 7 Silkie with blood ring

Back
Top Bottom