Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
Is there such a thing as a brooder that is too big? I guess it depends on how many chicks, but I turned a 50gal rubber maid bin into a brooder, will have a hot plate in it from premier, and I cut a window in the side and put in hardware cloth so I can see them more easily without looming over them. Max number of chicks I could have hatch Tues would be 6, with another hopeful in a week and another 8 or so in 16 days... Expecting fewer but ever hopeful!!

Should I block off half the brooder at first tho'? I didn't expect it to be so big, I was really worried about not enough space, but the thing looks HUGE empty, even with the hot plate and feeder/waterer in there. Will put in a few baby perches but it's still going to be a lot of floor space for those little legs. Don't want a chick to get 'lost' too far from the hot plate.
No, not really!! As long as it isnt difficult for the chicks (especially when they are still small/young) to reach the heat light!!!

Day 15, candled and 24 of the 42 were not developing. Not a single brown or green egg will make it to lockdown. I'm not sure if they froze before I gathered them (it is very cold here) or if the roster decided he only wanted to breed the 3 White Leghorn.

Disappointed at the moment since I was hoping for more RIR hybrids, but I'll try again in a few weeks once this hatch is over.

:hugs did you do eggtopsy to determine if they
Were infertile?

hugs.gif
did you do eggtopsy to determine if they
Were infertile?
X2!!!

Back
Top Bottom