Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
I'd like to jump aboard with 7 OE eggs in my Brinsea Mini Advanced. We're on day 11 and all 7 are growing. 5 of my eggs will be f2 olive eggers and the other 2 are EE eggs with Blue Marans roo over both. At least I hope that the marans roo is the baby daddy! There is a possibility that it could be a Swedish Flower Hen roo, too. Seems like anytime I witnessed any action, it was from Big Randy. I wish everyone good luck! We're due on Feb 25.

3 hatched today and 2 more have pipped!!
woot.gif

Candeled today!
4 clears and 2 quitters.

2 are questionable, the rest hoppin'!

When I first candled the eggs I was concerned that one was a double yolker (day 3). Now I am worried that the same one has two babies in it. I'm going to try and get pics tonight. 2 distinct bobbing masses not far apart.

I now wish I had taken the egg out at day three. If it is a twin this will more than likely end in heartache. It weighs 72 grams at day 7!

21 left growing!

Last edited:
Day 15, candled and 24 of the 42 were not developing. Not a single brown or green egg will make it to lockdown. I'm not sure if they froze before I gathered them (it is very cold here) or if the roster decided he only wanted to breed the 3 White Leghorn.

Disappointed at the moment since I was hoping for more RIR hybrids, but I'll try again in a few weeks once this hatch is over.

Sorry they didn't develop. Hopefully soon you will have a ton of fertile eggs to hatch! Best of luck with your remaining 18!

I'd like to jump aboard with 7 OE eggs in my Brinsea Mini Advanced. We're on day 11 and all 7 are growing. 5 of my eggs will be f2 olive eggers and the other 2 are EE eggs with Blue Marans roo over both. At least I hope that the marans roo is the baby daddy! There is a possibility that it could be a Swedish Flower Hen roo, too. Seems like anytime I witnessed any action, it was from Big Randy. I wish everyone good luck! We're due on Feb 25.

Either way gonna be pretty babies.

Ive got 11 going into lockdown tonight....  Here's hoping for good results  :pop

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics.

Candeled today!
4 clears and 2 quitters. 

2 are questionable, the rest hoppin'!

When I first candled the eggs I was concerned that one was a double yolker (day 3).  Now I am worried that the same one has two babies in it.  I'm going to try and get pics tonight.  2 distinct bobbing masses not far apart.

I now wish I had taken the egg out at day three.  If it is a twin this will more than likely end in heartache.  It weighs 72 grams at day 7!

21 left growing!

Interesting...

Is there such a thing as a brooder that is too big? I guess it depends on how many chicks, but I turned a 50gal rubber maid bin into a brooder, will have a hot plate in it from premier, and I cut a window in the side and put in hardware cloth so I can see them more easily without looming over them. Max number of chicks I could have hatch Tues would be 6, with another hopeful in a week and another 8 or so in 16 days... Expecting fewer but ever hopeful!!

Should I block off half the brooder at first tho'? I didn't expect it to be so big, I was really worried about not enough space, but the thing looks HUGE empty, even with the hot plate and feeder/waterer in there. Will put in a few baby perches but it's still going to be a lot of floor space for those little legs. Don't want a chick to get 'lost' too far from the hot plate.

50 gallon may seem huge at first....give them a few weeks and they will grow right into it!

Back
Top Bottom