Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
All the chicks are soo cute! I am a first time hatcher and my chicks are due to hatch next Friday. I'm hatching in a Brinsea Eco 20 on an auto turner and I absolutely love the ease.

My chicks due on Friday are 4 Bielefelder, 2 Blue Isbar, 3 Cream Leg Bar and 4 Lemon Cuckoo Buff Orpingtons. I think one of the cream leg bar and 1 of the orpintons are not developed but I saw something so I left them in until I know for sure. All the rest were clearly developed.
 I told my husband yesterday that I really needed these chicks to hatch so I could get my mind on my family and work:) Who knew I would be so consumed by these chicks! Can't wait to see more cute chicks
Your mind on the babies doesn't change once they hatch. Once they hatch you want to sit and watch them play with them and are constantly checking on them. At least that is how I am. It is like having your first newborn home. LOL Good luck with them can't wait to see pics of the fluffy little butts.

I agree about this being first on my mind. It's the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning and going to sleep, too. I'm on day 17 and planning to lockdown tomorrow. I have 7 OEs in my Brinsea mini advanced. It's really hard to candle through Olive eggs, but pretty positive they are all alive in there. They've been losing the appropriate amt of weight, too. This is my first time incubating and will also be the first time having chickens in my house!! Waay too cold here in Mich to have them outside. The plan is to keep them in the basement for about 4 weeks, then out in the barn. That's the plan, anyway. Wishing everyone luck!!

I agree about this being first on my mind. It's the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning and going to sleep, too. I'm on day 17 and planning to lockdown tomorrow. I have 7 OEs in my Brinsea mini advanced. It's really hard to candle through Olive eggs, but pretty positive they are all alive in there. They've been losing the appropriate amt of weight, too. This is my first time incubating and will also be the first time having chickens in my house!! Waay too cold here in Mich to have them outside. The plan is to keep them in the basement for about 4 weeks, then out in the barn. That's the plan, anyway. Wishing everyone luck!!

Chickens are great in the house...lol. You don't have to freeze to do chores and you are close to food and water. I got an outdoor house and took out a roof panel and two side panels and put in hardware cloth. I have my silkies growing out in there. The other chicks are in brooder pens which take a good 3 hours to make and about $40-$50. You just change them a lot more when they are in your home bc you don't want to smell them. And bounty paper towels really are absorbient. don't cheap out because the chicks will shred them.

Just grab a cup of tea and sit back! Good luck on your hatch!

Well, better late then never. Technically still on day 22. Woke up to 2 pips. I think I screwed up the eggs when I switched incubators on them.
jumpy.gif

Well, only the one chick for me. I candled the 2nd marans egg and it was no farther along than when I put it into lockdown.... a lot of fluid up top. It had a very wonky air cell, so not overly surprised that it didn't make it.

Do you think in a few days I can put the little one in with the 2-week-olds?

See how its growing out. I just had a couple get trampled on by chicks of the same age but larger breed. Also, I guess it would depend on how many you had in there. If it's just a few and they have tons of room and no one is picking on it merciless you may be fine. If not, you may want to give it a few weeks to grow out and get established and keep it close to the others so they know they are all together.

Day 21 and no sign of activity since a roller on 19. Hopefully something happens soon!

Update: 40 minutes later and I have an external pip, here we go!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom