Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
male, pictures a little hard to tell covers from primaries though. Wait till it gets a few tiny feathers on the wings and it's easier. 3 or 4 days old usually.
Yeah i know its hard to tell phone camera wasnt so good at getting a clear pic either.

Almost forgot to lock down my one singleton egg that's due to hatch Tues. But got it done late last night. Hopefully it'll be forgiving. I think I did the same thing with the first 6 last weekend and they did alright. Insane weekend vet clinic shifts make it hard to remember individual days.... it all becomes a blur!

First 6 are mastering base jumping from the top of the hot plate, using a self-teach method. One chick prefers to jump when there's another one just below, something soft to land on. It's led to a number of very loud and animated interactions after the jump!

Tried to start earily this year set 24 eggs even got a turner this year so far 1 baby Delaware is all i got.Hatched like 50 to 60 last year later on.Mostly oliver Eggers and silky olive eggers. Sold out fairly fast at 2.00 to 2.50 a bird on my first year of trying to hatch.Anyway im in Ohio its been cold wonder if thats cause most of my problems regardless i think im going back to hand turning the eggs.

My hatch rates increased once I could get rid of the drafts around the incubator & increase the humidity in the house. That's been my main issue with the winter hatching in Central New York.

What an adorable little chick you did get!

Thought these were so cute. They are BCM over blue isbar. They were my 6/6 hatchers on The 15th.

My hatch rates increased once I could get rid of the drafts around the incubator & increase the humidity in the house. That's been my main issue with the winter hatching in Central New York. 

What an adorable little chick you did get!
It isnt so much the drafty house as the temps stay solid its collecting the eggs my coop is unheated and chickens have been healthier unheated this year then a heat lamp last year as they got sick and didnt adjust as well the good ventilation and straw down keeps them better ive noticed but some eggs still get to cold before i get them.I sort them out the best i can.

nice birds hope they look nicer fully feathered out.
I have no idea what to expect from a mixed bird. The guy I got them from said they should be a real good layer. Those were the ones I thought were blue copper maran but when I asked the seller about them he said they were a mix. I thought I bought 6 BCM eggs and 6 BI eggs. Apparently not.

I have no idea what to expect from a mixed bird. The guy I got them from said they should be a real good layer. Those were the ones I thought were blue copper maran but when I asked the seller about them he said they were a mix. I thought I bought 6 BCM eggs and 6 BI eggs. Apparently not.
mixes usually are better layers than the 2 breeds they are mixed from and are much healthier genetically. Are they blue copper maran and blue isbar? Tying to figure out what BI is.

Isn't it *awesome* when you don't get what you thought you were buying??
Speaking of which, is there any kind of review system for sellers on BYC?

Back
Top Bottom