Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
I am just learning. I am looking for two rows of feathers on the wingtip. The "upper row" when the wing is upright are from primary feathers. The lower row when the wing is upright are to be convert feathers. There are differences in how "fast" these things feather in males or females. In Males, the two rows will be more "even at the ends" or more parallel at the ends than in a female of the same hatch, breed and age. Harder to tell when you have onely one sex to inspect. But in general...the primary feathers on the female shoot out longer than if its a male, relative to the converts on bottom.

edited to correct "less" to more.

Last edited:
I put my OE eggs in lockdown this morning. First timer here with an incubator. Beyond excited!!! I wanted to see an internal pip before I did that, but they had lost more weight than the recommended amount of 13% to 16%, so I maxed out the water reservoirs and stopped the turning and now am locked down!!! We are on day 18 and the 25th is hatch day. I will NOT open the bator until I see some chicks in my Brinsea mini.
jumpy.gif

I went on here to post and saw that there were 42 unread posts that I don't have time to read at the moment, but can't wait to hear all the news. Good luck to all!
Hey...good luck with your hatch!
D.gif

Didn't keep me from trying, Orphingtons, :D and yeah...I was wrong completely last hatches. (and ended up with 6 roos and one hen.) I think the produciton birds were bred to be easy to feather sex, and some of the heritage breeds may just not work with the technique.

Back
Top Bottom