• 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
Lucky 13!

Is there anything wrong with feeding meatmaker to start with and then switching to regular feed when I figure out who the hens are?

Cute Chicks! I don't quite understand your question. You do want to use a "Chick Starter" of some kind, and not switch to "regular feed" until the feed package indicates it. Do you plan to slaughter the birds after a couple of months?

Awww, too cute.  What are you using for a roost?  Can't quite make it out.  I had plans for a fancy dowel set up but have only gotten as far as getting some 4' dowel rods...  I've got plenty of lumber parts in the barn tho', wondering if there are square edges on what you've got there.  

It's a spare part from my kids' art easel... ;)
Yes, it does have square edges. From what I've read, square/rectangular roosts are typically preferred over round ones. Something about it being easier for them to get a grip and not slip off...

It's a spare part from my kids' art easel...
wink.png

Yes, it does have square edges. From what I've read, square/rectangular roosts are typically preferred over round ones. Something about it being easier for them to get a grip and not slip off...
Yep! Not sure what I was thinking, all my adults have square perches. Think I saw a cool tote-brooder with built in round perches and it stuck in my head. Just wedged a 1" flyball slat (dog sport) into some notches in the tote - instant perch! Tho' they're still pretty keen on the whole base jumping activity, the perch is more of an obstacle. At least it's sintra so way easy to clean/disinfect! They're little slobs, the lot of them!

Cute Chicks!  I don't quite understand your question.  You do want to use a "Chick Starter" of some kind, and not switch to "regular feed" until the feed package indicates it.   Do you plan to slaughter the birds after a couple of months?   

Correct, I would like to slaughter the males.

There are meat maker feeds that state they can be started on day 1, would it be a problem to feed all the birds "meat maker" until I can figure out which are male/female? At that point the males stay on meat maker and the females are separated and put on a regular growth feed diet?

@ Chic Phil A

Sorry, I don't know about broiler, or meat birds, but I did see a thread about feeding them when I searched here under "feeding meat birds." There are threads there which might be helpful.

Correct, I would like to slaughter the males.

There are meat maker feeds that state they can be started on day 1, would it be a problem to feed all the birds "meat maker" until I can figure out which are male/female? At that point the males stay on meat maker and the females are separated and put on a regular growth feed diet?
I've fed meat maker to females until they lay before with no issues.

:hit

I was watching my daughter play with our chicks about 6 feet away from her. She decided to put one up on her shoulder. Before I could get over there, it fell off and broke its neck... :( :( :(
A LOT of lessons learned in our house today....
P.S. This was the chick that had overcome crooked toes, splay leg, AND stargazing, and was doing great... Up until an hour ago. :(

hit.gif

I was watching my daughter play with our chicks about 6 feet away from her. She decided to put one up on her shoulder. Before I could get over there, it fell off and broke its neck...
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

A LOT of lessons learned in our house today....
P.S. This was the chick that had overcome crooked toes, splay leg, AND stargazing, and was doing great... Up until an hour ago.
sad.png
Aww, I'm so sorry. Poor chick, but poor daughter and you too! Accidents happen. No that that helps much.
sad.png

Awe, sorry most for your daughter's loss. Time for the old "powers that be thought that chick was so special it was wanted in chick heaven right away" talk.

I've got my first external pip, so things are right on schedule. Tomorrow is hatch day and it's looking pretty close. So far, no complaints with the Brinsea mini advanced. Also, I learned that using surgical gloves for handling them to candle kept them from slipping from my hands really well.

Sorry, Rainbow about your baby chick. Like you said, lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom