Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
Awe, sorry most for your daughter's loss.  Time for the old "powers that be thought that chick was so special it was wanted in chick heaven right away" talk.

She kept saying "heaven will fix him and give him back to us, right?" :(
A tough lesson for an almost-five-year-old....
She seems to be doing better now.
We will do a mini funeral tomorrow when the ground thaws...

I've got my first external pip, so things are right on schedule. Tomorrow is hatch day and it's looking pretty close. So far, no complaints with the Brinsea mini advanced. Also, I learned that using surgical gloves for handling them to candle kept them from slipping from my hands really well.

Sorry, Rainbow about your baby chick. Like you said, lesson learned.

Congrats on your pip! I hope you wake up to some cute fuzzy butts tomorrow! :)

hit.gif

I was watching my daughter play with our chicks about 6 feet away from her. She decided to put one up on her shoulder. Before I could get over there, it fell off and broke its neck...
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

A LOT of lessons learned in our house today....
P.S. This was the chick that had overcome crooked toes, splay leg, AND stargazing, and was doing great... Up until an hour ago.
sad.png

Oh no...your poor daughter; I hope she is okay! Your poor little underdog chick. I am sorry. :(

I've got my first external pip, so things are right on schedule. Tomorrow is hatch day and it's looking pretty close. So far, no complaints with the Brinsea mini advanced. Also, I learned that using surgical gloves for handling them to candle kept them from slipping from my hands really well.

Sorry, Rainbow about your baby chick. Like you said, lesson learned.
Congrats on your pip!
jumpy.gif

Pretty new here and wasn't aware of the Hatch-A-Long threads, but we started 21 eggs on 02/05. Surprisingly enough we had our first chick hatch a few hours ago (36 hours early). This is our first ever chick.

Sorry the photo isn't great, didn't want to open the incubator just yet.

Pretty new here and wasn't aware of the Hatch-A-Long threads, but we started 21 eggs on 02/05. Surprisingly enough we had our first chick hatch a few hours ago (36 hours early). This is our first ever chick.

Sorry the photo isn't great, didn't want to open the incubator just yet.

congratulations on your first hatch
highfive.gif
and the start of your own chicken math!!!!!!!!!!
gig.gif

OMG!!! The first chick is already here!!! I just went down to check to see if any more had pipped and this little guy was chirping like mad and thrashing around. I started hollering for my husband to come look. Amazingly quick. I noticed the pip only about an hour ago and here he is!!!! Here SHE is!!! :fl

Oh great! I put the solo chick who hatched today into the brooder to see if she'd be okay while I was here to monitor (day off). One NJ male came up to peck her, she gave it right back in spades! She's mastered the hot plate, one of the waterers, and the homemade stick-your-head-in-the-hole chick feeder I made today as a warm up to a hopefully less messy fermented feed feeder. I'll keep monitoring but I hope it keeps going so well since I have a 10 hour sx shift tomorrow. I could take her with me, but would rather she be with the chicks learning the ropes!

And look who is already wanting to do the base jumping! Yep, that's her trying to follow the biguns'!

Back
Top Bottom