Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
Someone is starting to wake up! Sooner than I expected! Not ready for exploring yet, so my little imprint project curled back up in my hand and went back to sleep after the photo shoot.. This one will be just fine! 8 more + the breech pip to go!
Aww so glad its doing better, good luck with the rest of your hatch
1f423.png

Aww so glad its doing better, good luck with the rest of your hatch
1f423.png
I've been trying to get some pictures of my breech pip. It's been tough to get the right angle to shoot through the sloped edges of the Brinsea! In the past few hours it blew a big chunk of eggshell off the pip, and has been working out from there. (it was quite impressive!) Hopefully it will be able to squeeze out that narrow end all by itself - it certainly is trying!!
fl.gif

Someone is starting to wake up! Sooner than I expected! Not ready for exploring yet, so my little imprint project curled back up in my hand and went back to sleep after the photo shoot.. This one will be just fine! 8 more + the breech pip to go!
So sweet! I needs ducks now!! My husband is going to have a fit as I keep adopting new hobbies concerning animals. I started with bees. Now I've taken on chicks. I've already warned him I need ducks
1f600.png
He's going to rehome me if I keep it up!

I just checked on my broody hen. She has 8 new fluffy butts. They were suppose to hatch on Monday. Most on them hatched on Tuesday with a final one last night. There were still 4 eggs left that I decided to open after candling with no internal pip. OMG! What a mistake! They were all rotten. With all the eggs I have hatched in the incubator I had not had the displeasure of dealing with rotten eggs. After a while of dry heaves I was able to finish my chores for the morning. Gag! I think next time I will not open them!!!!!

So sweet! I needs ducks now!! My husband is going to have a fit as I keep adopting new hobbies concerning animals. I started with bees. Now I've taken on chicks. I've already warned him I need ducks
1f600.png
He's going to rehome me if I keep it up!
My husband is worse than me! He brought home 4 two week old abandoned kittens this past fall. I bottle fed them, weaned them, gave them their first shots and they were ready for new homes. He apparently can't bear to let any of them go. So now we have 8 cats, and won't let me give away kittens.. Between the two of us bringing in animals we have quite a collection going on!! When I find a new bird breed that I want to start raising, he just rolls with it. He is a sucker for baby animals, and has totally enabled me by getting me a second incubator... So when he gets home from work, I'll hand off the baby duck for him to cuddle, and go about my afternoon chores, unless our daughter gets home first - and in that case she will likely abduct the baby. So far, this duckling has not seen the inside of the brooder since it left the incubator. I'll fire the brooder up this afternoon since I have more on the way... Mama duck will take care of the majority of the babies, but my daughter requested a couple of imprints, so today I am imprinting...

I just checked on my broody hen. She has 8 new fluffy butts. They were suppose to hatch on Monday. Most on them hatched on Tuesday with a final one last night. There were still 4 eggs left that I decided to open after candling with no internal pip. OMG! What a mistake! They were all rotten. With all the eggs I have hatched in the incubator I had not had the displeasure of dealing with rotten eggs. After a while of dry heaves I was able to finish my chores for the morning. Gag! I think next time I will not open them!!!!!
Congrats on all the new fuzzy butts!

My husband is worse than me!  He brought home 4 two week old abandoned kittens this past fall.  I bottle fed them, weaned them, gave them their first shots and they were ready for new homes.  He apparently can't bear to let any of them go.  So now we have 8 cats, and won't let me give away kittens..  Between the two of us bringing in animals we have quite a collection going on!!  When I find a new bird breed that I want to start raising, he just rolls with it.  He is a sucker for baby animals, and has totally enabled me by getting me a second incubator... So when he gets home from work, I'll hand off the baby duck for him to cuddle, and go about my afternoon chores, unless our daughter gets home first - and in that case she will likely abduct the baby.  So far, this duckling has not seen the inside of the brooder since it left the incubator.  I'll fire the brooder up this afternoon since I have more on the way...  Mama duck will take care of the majority of the babies, but my daughter requested a couple of imprints, so today I am imprinting...
Aww sweet
1f604.png

You were lucky! Mine exploded under my broody, who is in a nest box in my house!
sickbyc.gif

My husband is worse than me!  He brought home 4 two week old abandoned kittens this past fall.  I bottle fed them, weaned them, gave them their first shots and they were ready for new homes.  He apparently can't bear to let any of them go.  So now we have 8 cats, and won't let me give away kittens..  Between the two of us bringing in animals we have quite a collection going on!!  When I find a new bird breed that I want to start raising, he just rolls with it.  He is a sucker for baby animals, and has totally enabled me by getting me a second incubator... So when he gets home from work, I'll hand off the baby duck for him to cuddle, and go about my afternoon chores, unless our daughter gets home first - and in that case she will likely abduct the baby.  So far, this duckling has not seen the inside of the brooder since it left the incubator.  I'll fire the brooder up this afternoon since I have more on the way...  Mama duck will take care of the majority of the babies, but my daughter requested a couple of imprints, so today I am imprinting...

What do you mean by "imprinting"?

Also, my hubby is such a sucker for the baby chicks too! And he just gave me the "green light" to get ducklings! I'll be hatching them for the Easter HAL... :)

What do you mean by "imprinting"?

Also, my hubby is such a sucker for the baby chicks too! And he just gave me the "green light" to get ducklings! I'll be hatching them for the Easter HAL...
smile.png
Birds normally imprint to the first thing they see and hear - usually their mother, so they automatically can recognize mom. This way even in a crowd, they know exactly who their mother is. When this process occurs with humans, the birds see them as family, and are very friendly and people oriented as adults. The first 24 hours after hatching is when the babies imprint so if you spend a lot of time talking to them and playing broody mama like I am today, you will wind up with very social birds, who like being around people. Our imprints from last year will instantly cuddle when you pick them up, despite being free range for months. Our non imprinted ducklings from last year didn't like to be handled, and some were downright mean. One hen got a hold of my daughter's face and left quite the bruise!
These ducklings come from show quality parents, so imprinted babies will be much easier for me to show when they are older, and will be docile for the judges. Plus, my kid just loves cuddling with our birds!

It works on mammals too - you can train horses easier when you imprint them to the halter, saddle, bridle, and common procedures such as having their feet handled for cleaning and farrier work at birth. You gently place tack on the newborn foal, and try to be as soothing and natural as possible. They end up hard wired to think it is normal to be tacked up!

Back
Top Bottom