Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
LOL! Already the chicks in my back bedroom outnumber the ones in my coop.... I cannot fathom why I'd want the Brinsea 100 to add another 94 chicks to the mix....

Unless, of course, I truly want to cement my reputation as a crazy chicken lady.
wink.png
At my size, and what I am selling, I really think my next purchase will be another Octagon 20. That's about the right number of chicks to handle and sell, but I'm running out of chicks before the next batch comes along. I haven't had a single reply to my day-old ad, but I can't keep enough started pullets. The problem I'm running into now, though, is that I have a lot of started roosters, too. It may be time to take my chicken keeping experience to the next level...

Really fun pics everyone!

SO my hatch was exciting and a little sad. 13/21....

4 pips drown. Leads me to believe humidity was too high the first 18 days.

I decided to help one finally and it led to 2 more being shrink wrapped needing help...

Lesson: No matter how much you want to DON'T OPEN THE BATOR!

$999 isn't that far off from a Sportsman that does 200 ($750). Brinsea is an amazing company.
I would be interested to see the specs on it!

My thought is two bators. this would put hatches every two weeks.

So final tallies are in. 50% hatch rate for my cranky old girl. The ones I took and incubated are doing much better. 3 quitters under mom, and 2 live ducklings. I have 3, and the one in the incubator is half unzipped. I'll give mama that one when it finishes. 12 eggs laid, only 6 lived. I get better hatch rates incubating... So full retirement for mama duck. Time to let the younger generation take over broody duty...
Next sets of eggs due in this week! Time for the next group to begin!!!

Right:koko welsummer x EE mix
Left: yumyum welsummer x
Hatch: 18 set
5 infertile
3 early quitter
10 at lockdown
2 hatched
1 pipped upside down and through a blood vessel
7 pipped internally but shrink wrapped.

While some piped but "shrink wrapped" you still did ok the pipped shrink wrapped ones can be saved if you help them abit.Most people say dont but mostly its because the stuff drys out to fast that warps them and they exhaust themselves.I have helped some before and there perfectly fine afterwards.humidity might be your issue.Give it a try next time go alittle bit at a time if you see blood stop wait then retry later.

Hi! Mine finally hatched a few days ago!
I set 7 eggs, 1 quit early and 1 was malpositioned an never pipped. 5 hatched.
I got 4 Brown Leghorns and 1 Ancona .

(The one above is my Ancona)

Back
Top Bottom