Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
Just a thought on the incubators after seeing a thousand dollar price tag on something that holds 96 eggs. I've built a cooler-bator out of an old salvaged igloo cooler and thrown out "none working" parts easily found at a recycling center for pennies or free if you can chat the folks up there. It holds somewhere around 80-90 eggs +\- a few, humidity holds perfectly where I want it and the temperature only fluctuates .7 degrees around my desired temp regardless of ambient temperature. All this and it only cost around 20-30 dollars plus a few hours of my time. And really it took me longer to clean the cooler then to build the unit. Might be an option for some out there.

Just a thought on the incubators after seeing a thousand dollar price tag on something that holds 96 eggs. I've built a cooler-bator out of an old salvaged igloo cooler and thrown out "none working" parts easily found at a recycling center for pennies or free if you can chat the folks up there. It holds somewhere around 80-90 eggs +\- a few, humidity holds perfectly where I want it and the temperature only fluctuates .7 degrees around my desired temp regardless of ambient temperature. All this and it only cost around 20-30 dollars plus a few hours of my time. And really it took me longer to clean the cooler then to build the unit. Might be an option for some out there.
That's awesome, and I have more respect for you guys that build your own incubators that work than you will ever know. I'm not mechanically inclined, and having Amazxon deliver something to my door is just so tempting, so it's easier for me to buy one ready to go out of the box

Lucky you have that skill~ I am not inclined on anything that is not wood, tile or dirt... i tried to make one and it went devastatingly wrong....

I am happy that worked for you! Did you share on a thread on the coolerbator section?

Yes i shared it on the DIY incubator thread, when I saw prices on bators I almost had a heart attack.

I know it seems challenging to build but YouTube was a great guide with many knowledgeable people who helped me fine tune my bator. My first attempt also was a devastating failure, but valuable learning experience.

I really do prefer a good broody over the bator, if I can get her to cooperate.

My February hatch, now about 3 weeks old. It looks like its going to take them a while to put on weight with this snowy pa weather.

Yes i shared it on the DIY incubator thread, when I saw prices on bators I almost had a heart attack.

I know it seems challenging to build but YouTube was a great guide with many knowledgeable people who helped me fine tune my bator. My first attempt also was a devastating failure, but valuable learning experience.

I really do prefer a good broody over the bator, if I can get her to cooperate.

I can't wait until my gals are old enough to be a good broody...I have the silkies all lined up! However, they are about <4 months now.

The bators are expensive...I was so sick of paying money for good eggs and them not doing well~ I am pleased with the investment...However, if I could have had the same results with something I made even better.

Out of sheer curiosity we posted an add on the local Craig's List over the weekend to see if there was any demand for farm-hatched chicks.

Yup!

I handed off 10 of our babies from the first hatch (Feb 27th) to a happy new owner this afternoon. And at the end of the day we have requests for about 20 more babies. So it looks like our incubators are going to get some use this year. woohoo! We have one incubator headed for lockdown on Wednesday. We'll be keeping updates on that one in the March '2015 H.A.L. thread.

Back
Top Bottom