Fecal Float Slide

These are from a random sample this morning. I have no idea which hen. After a lot of searching the slide, I came up with these 4. Not sure what to make of them, but I'm concerned that #2 could be thread worm. Thoughts??
Take note of the plugs on each end of the eggs. These are capillaria. Not sure what species. Some of the eggs are in the process of releasing the larvae inside. Safeguard (fenbendazole) should take care of this. I prefer Albendazole. You should just treat the entire flock. It's easy to just pop a piece of bread drenched with some wormer, into the chicken's mouth. You can do it in the evening when they go into the coop. Just take each one off the perch and treat them.

Be sure to clean the run and coop of all feces.

Yeah, capillaria should be treated quickly. Nasty little parasite, very destructive to the intestinal system, can even cause death. 😉

I administer a Milk Thistle supplement during worming to support the liver. These parasites release toxins as they die. The toxins can make the chicken sick causing stress to the liver.😁

Liquid Hepato, my go to for liver support. Keep on hand for all illness recovery.
liquid hepato.jpg

There are many products sold for pets. They come in liquid or powder formulas and usually included B vitamins too.

Take note of the plugs on each end of the eggs. These are capillaria. Not sure what species. Some of the eggs are in the process of releasing the larvae inside. Safeguard (fenbendazole) should take care of this. I prefer Albendazole. You should just treat the entire flock. It's easy to just pop a piece of bread drenched with some wormer, into the chicken's mouth. You can do it in the evening when they go into the coop. Just take each one off the perch and treat them.

Be sure to clean the run and coop of all feces.

Yeah, capillaria should be treated quickly. Nasty little parasite, very destructive to the intestinal system, can even cause death. 😉
With 12 or less, I find it easy enough to drench them individually. That way I know exactly how much each gets. Depending on their size, they get between .75ml and 1 ml of Safe Guard. That would be an awful soggy piece of bread... LOL

I administer a Milk Thistle supplement during worming to support the liver. These parasites release toxins as they die. The toxins can make the chicken sick causing stress to the liver.😁

Liquid Hepato, my go to for liver support. Keep on hand for all illness recovery.
View attachment 2822726

There are many products sold for pets. They come in liquid or powder formulas and usually included B vitamins too.
That's one thing not in my medicine cabinet. Looks similar to Nutra Drench.

These are from a random sample this morning. I have no idea which hen. After a lot of searching the slide, I came up with these 4. Not sure what to make of them, but I'm concerned that #2 could be thread worm. Thoughts??
Those are from Earthworms, not a parasite of chickens. Just passing through! I forget the name of them at the moment but will look it up.

Back
Top Bottom