Feed contaminated with mouse droppings

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have discovered a mouse problem in the area where we store the chicken feed. I have a half bag of scratch that is contaminated with mouse droppings. I am very reluctant to use it now, but I am not sure if I am being overly cautious. Is there a real issue with feeding this to our birds - not sure what to do with it now

I have discovered a mouse problem in the area where we store the chicken feed. I have a half bag of scratch that is contaminated with mouse droppings. I am very reluctant to use it now, but I am not sure if I am being overly cautious. Is there a real issue with feeding this to our birds - not sure what to do with it now
Mice got into a half empty bag of scratch grain that I didn't have space to put in the container that I use to keep the feed in. They only got in from the bottom of the bag. So I took all there was on the top layer and then left about four inches of the scratch grain above where the hole was.
I too would like to know what to do with the rest.

Aside from the yuck factor, what's the problem with chickens eating feed that mice have been in? I don't know the answer, I'm just asking. Maybe a parasite concern?
Just thinking about the fact that I have free range birds that go all over my property and eat whatever they find, I'm not sure it would be a concern to me, unless the bag was really nasty.

Aside from the yuck factor, what's the problem with chickens eating feed that mice have been in? I don't know the answer, I'm just asking. Maybe a parasite concern?
Just thinking about the fact that I have free range birds that go all over my property and eat whatever they find, I'm not sure it would be a concern to me, unless the bag was really nasty.
Mice carry Salmonella, & other diseases.

Back
Top Bottom