Feed for a mixed flock?

mathewmarie

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
I have some jersey giants and they are a year old and laying well. I have been feeding them good layer crumbles since 8 weeks old.

I now have 14 JG chicks, & 10 cornish crosses in the brooder just a few days old. Of course they are getting chick feed now but..... Can i give all my lottle ones grower feed til the meaties go to the freezer? And how can i keep the JG adults eatung layer while the kids eat grower?
Rookie year questions...

Keep it simple and feed all your birds the same thing. I don't use medicated feed so it's easy for me to put adult birds on grower crumbles that the chicks need. As they get older, about 12 weeks, and can take pellets they all get turkey finisher or an all flock type feed.

Young birds should not be given layer feed. It has far too much calcium in it to be good for them. If you offer oyster shells free choice the birds that are laying will eat it and continue to lay good shelled eggs. Other birds may peck at the oyster shell but not consume it to the extent of your layers. Buy in bulk as it's much cheaper, ask at the counter at feed store for 5 lbs bulk it goes a long way. I honestly just toss a handful or two on the ground in the layers run a few times a week.

Ok, thanks. Sounds easy. When can i stop giving chick starter and give them grower instead?

Do they still have different feed for that? Anymore all I see is starter/grower as one feed. The main difference if only a starter would be medicated. I get Starter/Grower unmedicated and feed that until big enough to take pellets. I have a lot less waste when feeding pellets.

Similar question, except I am using medicated chick starter. At what age do I move them onto starter/grower?

AND, more importantly, when I transition their feed, do I do it slowly, mixing the 2 together for a week or so like we do with horses?

Thanks!

8-10 weeks is the recommended age to stop medicated feed, around that age when your bag runs out just switch. It does not require mixing/transition. Later when or if you transition to pellets know that there will be a few days of them not wanting the new form of feed. Hang in there and don't succumb as they will get hungry enough and start feeding on it if large enough to take pellets and that's around 12 weeks. I find it to be far less wasteful. All my birds when large and on crumbles will throw a lot of it on the ground and then not eat what fell.

Back
Top Bottom