Feed for hens and one rooster

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
We currently feed our chickens (8 months old) Kalmbach Organic Layer feed crumbles which they all love. Is it ok for the rooster long term? They don't have an organic all flock and I love the eggs we're getting, plus they're all super healthy. Before I order more, I'm hoping for some advice on what to give them all or if it's ok to keep the rooster on the same feed as the girls. Changing to all flock might mean sacrificing egg quality but maybe that's incorrect.

Thanks!

What many people do is feed an all flock with oyster shells on the side for the girls.
Long term, layer feed isn't the best for rooster.
But in my experience, I've fed layer and haven't really had problems with roosters eating it. Although I had a 4ish yo rooster die a couple months ago, not sure why...hopefully not from layer feed but who knows.

You will get different responses depending on who answers. I feed an all flock as I have a rooster. It’s also the easiest to feed when there are chicks around because everyone can eat it.

Some people say their roosters are fine on layer feed. It just depends on what you think is the right thing to do for your flock.

If you have concern for the rooster, you can always give a chick feed instead of the layer provided the protein content is adequate.

Can someone please give a good and trustworthy brand for them to eat? I have two laying hens and one rooster all different breeds but all will be one year old in May. Reposting here as I figured it would be related, thanks 🙏

Back
Top Bottom