Feed help

Nverst

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2023
Northern Kentucky
I was wondering what I should do in my current situation. I have 6, 5-week old chicks that I will be placing into the coop in a couple weeks. In my coop I already have 4, 4-month old chickens. Obviously my chicks can’t eat the same feed as my chickens so I’m curious as to what I should do, do I just feed both the chickens and chicks chick feed? Or do I try and have separate food dishes?

Thanks.

They CAN all eat chick feed. In my experience, this can be a mess and waste bc of the crumbles. So, you could try to address this-maybe a pan under the feeders? Maybe wet mash for awhile.

But, you have 2-3 weeks before they go out there. Then a period of see-no-touch integration where food will be separate. Once together, the chicks will still benefit from crumble. But, you could switch to an all-flock feed pellet, with OS on the side for the layers. Don’t forget that there needs to be 2 feeders minimum so the young ones aren’t prevented from eating. In my experience, the chicks run as a pack -keeping away from the higher pecking order layers. Full integration doesn’t really occur until all are laying.

Back
Top Bottom