Feed I founds on craigslist ok?

Unable to make an educated guess with what information they provide. What's the total ingredient list? Bare minimum, you can use it as a scratch feed. You could also submit a sample for analysis and see if and what is lacking. The price is right but I would be hesitant to make it their sole ration until you know more about it.

I'd be leery, the price is too cheap.
Not necessarily. Scratch grains are down to $13/100# at the feed store by me. So wholesale it's probably in the $10/100 range. He's not paying anything for advertising, testing (by law he should have it labeled and tested). I'm sure the grain is damaged, has extra fines and might not be cleaned. I'd be surprised if it was more than just whole grains and legumes but that doesn't mean you can't make it a balanced diet IF you know what it is lacking.

If you do buy it make sure the soybeans are roasted.
Raw Soybeans:
Raw soybeans should not be fed to poultry. When feeding soybeans to poultry, soybeans must be heattreated
to destroy a trypsin inhibitor that disrupts digestion. The presence of the trypsin inhibitors will
also cause an enlarged pancreas (a 50%-100% increase). The side affects will occur at inclusion levels
as low as 5%.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

Back
Top Bottom