Feed inside the coop or outside?

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
Nor Cal
I have 6 girls 4 pullets 2 layers varying age, right now I keep both grower and layer available all day but I keep it in the coop as its been raining and I don't want food to go to waste. I have water both in and out side. My question is in general do you keep feed in the coop or outside our do you move it in or out according to the weather? Our coop is 4x6 foot the run is roughly 40x8 foot. I don't have an outside cover for feed just yet as this is our first flock and e have only had them about 5 weeks.

This is not my opinion for feeding layer feed.  This is a quote from Nutrena poultry feeds
Is it OK to feed layer feed to chicks?

Layer feed is not properly balanced for chicks, as it will contain too much [COLOR=000000]calcium[/COLOR]. While one or two feedings should not cause a problem, a continuous diet of layer feed to chicks is NOT balanced for proper growth, and chicks may also experience kidney damage.

omg get off me. I've already stated the 2 that are 10 weeks can't reach the layer. Get over your self. I'm sorry I even bothered to mention anything. I'm not stupid I've don't my research. I didn't just decide one day to go get chickens this has been years of planning that just feel together at an unexpected time. So get off you high horse. If my chickens all die becuase I screwed up well that's on me. But if it makes you feel better I'll keep you in the back of my mind and be sure to send you a message when it does happen just so you can say "I told you so".

And for when to start layer for a laying aged chicken, weather before or after the first egg, really does come down to preferance.

If your worried my little 10w pullets will get to the layer soon, yes I had already taken that into consideration and have a plan in motion but not that you care anyways.

Last edited:
I keep my feed inside the coop to keep it dry and to try to keep the wild birds and other critters from eating too much, for smaller coops there are some nice PVC feeders that can be made.

I keep food and water in the coop (I have a 4x6 coop as well) and I keep food, grit, egg shells, and water outside in their pen as well. I keep the coop open so they can come and go as they please. And on days it supposed to rain, I will take all their food bowls to put under my carport the night before, and then ill refill them and put them all in their coop and leave the water bowl out so it can get "refilled". With it getting cold now, some mornings I make them some oatmeal (for warmth) mixed with some do their food and some flax seeds. They absolutely love it!

Last edited:
I keep seeing comments about warm oatmeal on cold days I might have to give it a try about how much do you make for your 6?
I only have 3 girls currently. I do about two handfuls of oatmeal (I buy the old fashioned 100% oats, just plain ole' oatmeal) and cook it in the microwave, then put it the fridge for a little while so it's warm but not hot, hot. And I only do that on mornings it's cold, like in the 30's cold.

Last edited:
Point is, the calcium in layer feed is too much for those that aren't actively laying. The calcium is for eggshell production. If they are using up that extra calcium by laying eggs, it will build up in their kidneys and eventually cause kidney failure. They will not show signs of illness until they are too far gone. Scratch is not a nutritionally balanced feed. It's more of a treat or a very cold weather supplement for extra calories. 

thanks

But my question was about whether most people keep thier feed inside or outside the coop

I am terrified now reading this post as I was advised to feed my bantams layers after 20 weeks old or so whichiI did but I'm also aware they may not lay again until spring. I have two plastic waterers and found they need less maintenance when kept inside as when kept outside they turn green quickly.

I've found many opinions on layer feed some stay it at 18-20 weeks others wait to 6 months and still other wait till first egg or full egg production. So honestly I think that's more a matter of preference. And I honestly doubt if nearly every brand of layer says after 18 weeks it would be that huge of an issue. If it were it would also state not to feed before the hens produce eggs. I think some people just get so set in thier ways that they think anyone who doesn't follow them exactly is wrong.

I keep water in both places I have to fill both every 2-3 days anyways but I'm sure at least the outside water will start to green eventually. Especially once summer hits. It gets really hot here in the summer so I wanted to be sure ahead of time we were ready for that

I keep feed and water outside of coop. It matches my management of opening the coop door every morning and not locking chickens in coop during cold weather. The use of tarps for corner or sides of prevailing wind makes for the wind shield to protect birds. It's virtually same temp as in the coop and they prefer to be outside unless there is snow on ground in which case you need to shovel it and put a thin layer of hay down or they don't want to walk on it. You can make a small stand and hang the feed under it, I always have coops on stilts so feed and water are under coop. Feed should be brought inside each night to deter attracting larger animals and rodents from feeding unchecked.

A system of rodent control should be in place in the beginning of raising birds. Rodent populations will get out of control and that's no fun. Systems for drowning rodents or snap traps in protective container work well enough if started in the beginning. Otherwise chunx bait in tamper proof boxes is really the best way to eradicate them. Never use poison pellets, they get strewn about as the rodents drop them going back to nests. Chunx has to be chewed off so it fits in cheeks, brought back to nest where kits and adults die there.

This is the bait and locked bait box (tamper proof) I'm talking about. I have one of these in corner of run at all times unless chicks are in there. Image is copied from google images.

fh1.jpg

Certainly not, I should use more smiley faces, sometimes I write like Tarzan and it comes off wrong.

I guess I was referring to the whole heat or no heat debate that goes on here. I keep frizzles, and I've kept silkies, and it has been down in the -20's with -40 wind chills. My one shed is an uninsulated pole shed, my bantam are somewhat insulated, so I've seen many winters without heat.

I don't think poultry need extra heat and it messes them up, they actually suffer more because they can't handle winter temperatures.

It's best to block the wind, have south facing windows for sunlight, warm water, and scratch to beef up the fat content. I also use hay to give mine something to occupy their time.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom