Feed or not????

Kesha

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Stafford, VA
We have 23 chickens. They are 13 weeks old. They go in their coop at night that has food in it and they free range all day. Do I still need to be throwing food out on the ground for them? Also when do I start the oyster shells? Right before they start laying or after?

Thanks for yout help.

generally the feed is at nite for a treat to let them know it is time to be cooped up
generally the chickens go back to the coop when they get humgrey
and the oyster shell is given when they are laying
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in their water and they will use more efficently the calcium and Vit D they eat
any questions email me

My chickens also free range all day. I keep food available to them in their coop at all times. They get up way earlier than I do in the morning and they wake up hungry. The hens also like to get a bite to eat when they go back to the coop to lay their eggs. Also, another bite before going to roost.
I feed treats during the day, outside the coop.
I started oyster shell about a week after I started getting eggs (my layer feed has some calcium in it).
I just pour the oyster shell on the ground under the overhang of an outbuilding so its out of the weather. The hens know it's there and take what they need.

Back
Top Bottom