feed question

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
I have 4/5 day old mix in brooder.Im quite sure i accidentally put Game bird feed in their feeder when i 1st put them in...They have been eating it, but a few have developed pasty butt..This is what led me to figure out i had used the wrong feed. Changed it out with medicated Purina chick starter, but it looks much bigger in size, and compared to my lil silkie and other bantams, it looks like boulders..Should it be ground any, or am i just overzealous?

I often do grind the feed a bit when I have hatchlings. If I see them having difficulty with the "boulders", I buzz it in the blender. What was the protein content of your game bird? To help with PB, check your temp, to be sure you are not over heating them. And you might give them a plug of sod from an untreated lawn. This will give them some grit, and some beneficial bacteria and fungi to kick start their digestive and immune systems.

I feed my chicks Show Gold medicated which is 26% protein. Game Bird chick feed is fine. If they have trouble with it, especially bantam chicks, I would grind it up somewhat. During the breeding season and during the molt, I feed my birds Game Bird Breeder pellets which is 21% protein.

Gave them a couple grass plugs(with dirt) switched the food to the medicated Purina, but im still seeing a lil build up under vents. Dont think im to hot, or to cold..The chics are laying around ceramic heater, but they do get up and wonder off to the other side to drink/eat etc. No stress that im aware of..Without putting them in a bator type brooder where its pretty much closed off from outside air, theres no way to maintain 1 specific temp in the whole brooder. Im starting to think a lil pasty butt is just part of the process? Will update 2morrow to see if gets better..Its not really bad, i just dont want it to get bad..

pics

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    493.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 8
I have 4/5 day old mix in brooder.Im quite sure i accidentally put Game bird feed in their feeder when i 1st put them in...They have been eating it, but a few have developed pasty butt..This is what led me to figure out i had used the wrong feed. Changed it out with medicated Purina chick starter, but it looks much bigger in size, and compared to my lil silkie and other bantams, it looks like boulders..Should it be ground any, or am i just overzealous?
I have ducks and chickens, I feed them unmedicated Purina Flock Raiser. I didn't have a single chick with pasty butt and last time I raised chicks I had many with pasty butt on medicated chick starter. I also always put Apples Cider Vinegar in their water, the kind with the "mother" in it.

@lazy gardener, i am giving them the 18% now...lol, i messed up and had given them some 28% game feed i had for quail... @Poultry Chick, forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean "With Mother". Is it a certain brand, or do i have to ferment somehow" Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom