Feed question

chickencrazy9

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Oregon Coast
I originally picked up a small bag of chick starter from Coastal Farm and Ranch to feed figuring I'd buy more when I needed it from my local feed store. When I went to buy more the local feed store sold me an all around poultry feed. It's protein and such is not vastly different from the chick starter.
My chicks are 4 weeks today and have been eating this new food for a couple of weeks and seem to be doing well.
Should I pick up some chick starter and put them back on that? I guess I'm a little concerned, but I'm not sure I should be.

Thanks,
Nervous Nelly

The starter is probably medicated. That would be the main difference. The medication slows their body's exposure to the naturally occurring cocci in the soil so they have more time to build resistance. If they have no access to the soil, it isn't doing much anyway. There are some areas where cocci are a big problem and others where they aren't so how important the medicated feed is really varies. Many consider it cheap insurance, though. Your call.

I just hatched a couple chicks and dont have any start and grow they came earler than I thought do you thank is would be ok to give them a little layer crumbles to last till morning

I was reading yesterday that you have to be careful about the calcium level in the feed. Too high of calcium for the chicks can cause problems in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom