feed storage bin ideas?

Pico de Gallo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
ABQ, NM
I'm currently storing my scratch, goatgrain and layer feed in a row of round rubbermaid garbage cans, but I really hate wasting all the interstitial space that accompanies round bins! They're all tucked in my goats' mini-barn, which come haybale-day becomes oppressively confined.

Does anybody have suggestions for commercially available airtight, square cornered storage bins?

Ideally: I'd build overhead bins adjacent to the grainbag storage loft, where I could slide each bag over to top off with relative ease, and use bulk coffeebean-style, bottom-end dispensers for my daily feed routine...that'd certainly conserve my prized floorspace while using 'wasted' headspace!

Last edited:
Chest freezers make great and safe storage bins. Sometimes you can find a busted one on CL for free or just ask for a free busted freezer. THey keep mice, racoons and all other critters out.

i use 5 gallon buckets with lids you can buy them cheap or prob get them free and i get about 25 lbs of feed etc in them each. Plus you can stack them up and just use the one on top til its empty.

I used 5 gal pails with snap on lids when I had pheasants, the dam mice ate a hole in the center of the lid big enough to get in and out. When they did that I set traps on the lid and would have 2 dead mice every morning. Not for long though.

I use the stackable dog food containers that open in the front. It holds at least 40 pounds of feed each.

i use 5 gallon buckets with lids you can buy them cheap or prob get them free and i get about 25 lbs of feed etc in them each. Plus you can stack them up and just use the one on top til its empty.

I'm trying to picture what you are looking for....would squared off cat litter 5 gallon buckets work? I use them to store my feed, but my four girls only go through 80lbs of organic layer mash, which takes about 4 of the cat litter buckets, every 2 months or so. For my purposes, they work nicely, since they stack neatly. And, with three cats, they are pretty easy to come by.......they would even make nice nest boxes, especially since they don't roll!

mm

I purchased five gallon buckets with lids from Walmart. They are great and do fine in rain and snow. They were $5 each. Now I also have a great rubbermaid type outdoor storage cabinet for all my chicken junk. I found it on CL and put it near my chicken run. $20 instead of $140 just because someone didn't want it. You can find some great storage bins, deck boxes, etc. on CL for low prices.

I'm trying to picture what you are looking for....would squared off cat litter 5 gallon buckets work? I use them to store my feed, but my four girls only go through 80lbs of organic layer mash, which takes about 4 of the cat litter buckets, every 2 months or so. For my purposes, they work nicely, since they stack neatly. And, with three cats, they are pretty easy to come by.......they would even make nice nest boxes, especially since they don't roll!

mm

I shoulda mentioned I've got ~20 birds and go through a 50lb bag of organic layer feed every 1-2 weeks. We've only found a single reliable supplier of organic feed, who's a 2.5 hr drive away, so we need to really stock up every couple of months...thus my search for a more space-efficient bin than my ~55gal rubber rubbish can!

I ultimately envision a large, wall-mounted, toploading hopper with a secure lid, capable of holding at least 150lbs of grain, with a bottom dispenser, hanging at about head level, top is on plane with the adjacent grainbag loft, with the rest of my various grains stored beneath in square, upright containers. Prolly end up having to build it myself...out of old ductwork? I suppose it's as good an excuse to learn welding as any.

I really like the squared kittylitter buckets for all manner of uses, maybe they'd be more suitable for my goatgrain, of which I only use <1lb /day?

Back
Top Bottom