Feed Store Chicks

wallace

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 17, 2007
I got these at a Feed Store. Here they are, digging for bugs. Any ideas on what they are?

Barred Rock?
barredrockrk1.jpg

Austrolorp?
austrolorpuh5.jpg

I think this might be a Brown Leghorn, but I'm hoping it's an Easter Egger or something else.
leghornik3.jpg

One other note: The one I think is a Brown Leghorn is based on McMurray's description that the chicks look like chipmunks. These two definitely looked like chipmunks when I first got them. Anyway, they both don't have combs. I could swear they used to. But now they have little fuzzy patches - looks like a buzz haircut - where the comb should be.

Last edited:
You are right about the first two - barred rock and an austrolorp - unfortunately I can't help you with the last one. I has EE's and they look more like a falcon or a hawk. Yours is a little different - I could be wrong though.

I agree, #1 barred rock, #2 Australorp, #3 I would say EE, but the feet are yellow and in my experience EE's tend to have dark legs, so I'm thinking I don't know.
big_smile.png

Thanks for the opinions. I don't think the brown one is a sex link, because it's coloration as a chick wasn't right. It was striped:

chicks1oz4.jpg

It's funny that just a few weeks ago, this is what they looked like.

When I saw the pics of your chicks as little ones I saw that they look just like the little ones I just bought at the feed store that they told me were aracauna girls. Don't know if this helps you any at all but mine look just like that but with itty bitty tiny little tuffs on their faces on some of them.

Back
Top Bottom