Feed verses scratch - ever wonder?

I posted something along the same topic not long ago, but it wasn't scratch my friend was feeding. When we both got our chicks, on the exact same day from the exact same place and they were 1 day olds, she went home and only provided them with 1 week of heat, then put them in the barn which was drafty, cold and wet, the roof has holes above where she put the chicken coop. then she got her 6 layers from the hatchery 2 weeks later and switched all the birds to layer feed, her chicks were only 3 weeks old. she only feeds them a couple cups in the morning and a couple cups at night, her waterers are always empty too. a couple chicks died because of the cold, while it was june up here it was still quite chilly. she also lost some to th barn cat who she allowed to roam free and in and out of the coop. then mine started laying and she got upset because hers were not laying. she came to look at my birds and she was adamant she didn't get the same type of hens. I told her I would go see her pullets and see if they were different. well they are the exact same birds but hers look sad, and rough, by sad I mean they are not in great shape, they are skinny, the feathers look dull. I told her she wasn't feeding them correctly and they were not getting enough nutrition but she didn't care. I even stated in my post how she was proud a bag of feed would last her a month for all of her chickens while I go through a bag of layer, scratch, boss, every 2 weeks. she told me I was crazy for feeding them so much. and crazy for even giving them fresh greens from the field or a whole cabbage or cauliflower or what ever I may have laying around.

I do believe some people like the novelty of having animals and disregard the fact that they are feeding them, or caring for them improperly.
And some people truly lack the knowledge, which is why I love BYC. I would spend hours on this forum reading on caring for chickens, feeding them, how to build coops, things they would require etc, I spent about 8 months lurking on this forum for ideas and information before I even got my chickens, my friend just got them on a whim when my DH told her I was getting chickens. she had no brooder ready for them, and her coop wasn't even done.

It is interesting how different people approach feeding. I think sometimes frugality is so strong a compuslion that people have difficulty reasoning past it.

We went to a county extension sponsored Chicken 101 class back when we started out. There were people there who argued with the PhD poultry expert about feed and egg production results. Although he has done extensive research and has had papers published on the effects of nutrition and egg production, there were those who argued and nearly became hostile at the thought of buying layer feed. We listened to the "chickenologist" as we call him, and have had excellent egg production results and healthy hens.

Some people keep chickens with the idea it will be cheaper than buying eggs. It usually is not. However, you do get really tasty eggs, entertainment, and a great hobby from the experience. The downside is that chickens are addictive!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I offered Layena pellets to my girls; will not make that mistake again! They billed it out of the feeder looking for something better. I'm currently adding it to alfalfa pellets and make a mash out of it...when it is gone that will be it as far as buying pellets!

I have some BOSS sprouting at this time to see if it might offer a higher nutrition for them. The alfalfa has really colored their yolks!

We've first hand experience with feed differences. A friend and I both wanted new layers, but neither of us wanted 25, so we decided to split them. It would have been silly for both of us to run a brooder, and I have a better set-up, so I brooded the birds and raised them to about 16 weeks. I used our usual feed, an all natural with herbal additives. When she took her birds home, her husband, an old-time farmer, went to the elevator and had them mix up some feed with ground corn.

These were the exact same birds, raised the exact same way for 4 months. I got about a dozen eggs a day - she got 4-5. And she has a much better hen house! Her husband refuses to switch feed - says it doesn't make any difference. Okaaay
tongue.png

Boo-Boo's Mama :

Quote:
I offered Layena pellets to my girls; will not make that mistake again! They billed it out of the feeder looking for something better. I'm currently adding it to alfalfa pellets and make a mash out of it...when it is gone that will be it as far as buying pellets!

I have some BOSS sprouting at this time to see if it might offer a higher nutrition for them. The alfalfa has really colored their yolks!

Try organic layer pellets- it even smells better than layena or purina!​

Huge amounts of money has been spent in researching the nutritional needs of chickens, from chicks, to laying hens, reproduction, and growth. Also incredible efforts and money spent in developing modern breeds genetically. Feed companies produce products meant to be perfectly balance for on-label use, for the best possible price. It's not possible for a small flock owner to 'save money' or 'balance it' better at home! Treats are treats, and good food pays off! And, deliberate malnutrition is animal abuse. Mary

Not to sound like an idiot here buy I am new to raising chickens. I have been feeding scratch to my chickens and ducks. They all gather and eat together. When I got the chickens a friend told me to feed them scratch and give layer pellets as a treat. My chickens are 8 almost 9 months old now. I have a total of 31 few roosters in the mix. My question is should I switch to layer and cut out the scratch?

Back
Top Bottom