Feed verses scratch - ever wonder?

Not to sound like an idiot here buy I am new to raising chickens. I have been feeding scratch to my chickens and ducks. They all gather and eat together. When I got the chickens a friend told me to feed them scratch and give layer pellets as a treat. My chickens are 8 almost 9 months old now. I have a total of 31 few roosters in the mix. My question is should I switch to layer and cut out the scratch?
Read this thread from the beginning.

You don't feed layer feed to non laying birds. Layer feed is not a treat, corn and scratch is. Layer feed does not make birds lay, it only has more calcium and usually less protein than a good grower feed. A non medicated starter/grower feed is better nutrition and supply oyster shell on the side for any laying hens need for added calcium. They take it free choice if they need it. It's extra calcium for egg shell thickness. If a bird is not laying the added calcium in layer feed is to block up the kidneys- that's not a good thing. Oyster shell free choice is a better way to provide it. It doesn't take much extra at all. If you find your egg shells too thin then they need more. Thin shells is very rare problem as birds typically get far more calcium than their bodies can handle. I use to toss a handful or two of oyster on the ground every week or so. Now I toss a handful every two weeks or so to eight layers and still have plenty thickness of egg shell. It really doesn't take much.

Last edited:
I agree! I could have bought a lifetime of eggs for what I spent on my coop and run. But there is such a big difference between my eggs and store eggs. My 11 yr old nephew did not like eggs before I got my chickens, now he loves eggs. It makes me sad to hear stories of stupid people not feeding their chickens properly; and they still wonder why they don't get good egg production. BYC is a true gift!

I think if you are feeding non layers also, use something called 'Flock Raiser' not layer feed, then offer Oyster shell on the side. That way your roosters won't get too much calcium. Scratch is like you eating potato chips only, delicious but junk food all the same.

Back
Top Bottom