Feed

Duckstail

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
What does everybody use for feed? What are your experiences with different types of feed what do you prefer and what should people stay away from.

I use nature's best organic chicken feed for my chicks. Seems decent enough so farm.

And purina duck feed pellets, for the quackers.
I was giving the organic chicken starter with crushed-up brewer's yeast pills. But I think they liked the duck pellets more.

I'm trying to find a really good duck organic feed? Any suggestions?

I have tried a range of feeds over the years. My standard base is always Scratch & Peck for chicks thru layers. To that, I add a crumble or mash type of feed as well. My favorite for the layers has been Big Sky Organics layer mash which I get through Azure Standard. What I really like about BSO is that their protein source is fishmeal. I have read studies, anecdotal reports and have personally experienced pea protein as not being readily converted by chickens into usable protein. I avoid soy in pretty much everything.

I always at the very least soak the feed (Especially S&P) Overnight in the fridge to reduce/eliminate phytic acid (basically as anti-nutrient in grains). Most of the time (unless I'm REALLY tired) I ferment the feed in small batches so I use the whole jar (when it's ready) in one day. To make the final dish less soggy, that's when I mix a little of the dry mash into it. It's then the perfect consistency for the chooks and they go crazy for it, lol!

For the chicks/pullets/cockerels, same process. Fermented (or at least soaked overnight) Scratch & Peck and then I add a dry mash to the wet feed to make it the perfect consistency for the chicken palate. I find they will ignore anything too soggy. I've used Mana Pro, Modesto Mills, King Feeds, and this round of chicks I gave H&H a try. So far, I like it.

I would never feed H&H, S&P, or any of the grain-based feeds dry. It's too likely to cause a nutrient deficiency over time because the fines sink to the bottom and/or get ignored by the chooks in favor of the tasty grains/seeds that are easy to pick out in a dry scenario. When the feed is fermented/soaked and mixed in together, it sort of makes a whole thick porridge type feed that they eat all the parts of.

I find that they eat less feed this way (I've measured and calculated), and also their eliminations aren't as smelly as when they've eaten non-fermented feed.

I have been feeding a Start and Grow moistened, and am currently trying Chicken Chew, hemp formula. It's a fairly new feed, and I soak it overnight after mixing it with the Start and Grow, and they really like it. It has good, healthy ingredients and 19% protein.

I thought I was doing the right thing by feed Scratch and Peck organic feed fermented overnight....2 of my hens just died from listeria and the vet said its the fermented feed. She said chickens don’t need all the fancy stuff people give them, standard feed is best Not sure what I will feed them now but it certainly won’t be fermented.

Feeding a pelleted or a crumble feed is better because the birds can't pick and choose favorite grains out, which can cause them (this picking out certain grains only) to not get a complete diet. They can end up fat and fat hens end up with internal laying issues and fatty liver disease which kills.

Back
Top Bottom