feed????

d1

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Saucier,Ms.
what brand of feed to you feed your quail?

I can only find a 16% protien layer(crumble) and would like to feed something higher........

The only thing they get here is Purina Startrena Gamebird Starter- 30% protien crumbles from the egg to the grave! They thrive on it. As a side note=== Layer crumbles(chicken formula) is not adequate for gamebirds--- they have different nutritional requirements and need different formula. Aside from the layer crumbles not being formulated to meet their nutritional needs chicken feeds can cause 1. constipation= death or 2. diarrhea= pasty butt and if not corrected= death. Tractor supply co. is a full spectrum Purina dealer. If you have 1 nearby you can get the purina from them--- while they may not carry the gamebird formulas you can have them order it for you at no extra cost, but you may have to ask them to order it. Any reputable feed store should carry at least 1 brand of gamebird feed wether it be southern states, nutrena, purina, etc...

I start my coturnix chicks on Purina Mills game bird starter 30% protein for about 7 weeks. Then when they are starting to lay eggs, I switch to Purina Mills game bird starter 30% protein. For meat birds, I switch them to Purina Mills game bird starter 30% protein until the processing day. Then I remove all food, wait 6-8 hours and remove their heads.

I know it sounds complicated switching feed like that, but it works for me.
big_smile.png

These are directions for coturnix only. They are lovers of perpetual sameness! Switching feed on them can have very undesirable results.

If you are raising bobs or other quail, follow the best bob/other feeding instructions you can find.

Quote:
I'm not going to tell you what you should feed your birds, but any decent Purina dealer can special order real game bird chow for you.
When I first started I would feed chicken starter and my birds did just fine. Then I made Grumpy Guss order me some PM 30% GBS and my birds did finer!

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, only what I do, or would do.
#1. Feed stores want to sell you what they want to sell you. Most keep chicken feed of all types on hand. That's why even my feed store wants to push the chicken stuff, or flock raising stuff off on me. I am a one trick pony, and raise only coturnix quail. I have no need for a dual use feed, and the flock raising stuff, IMHO is just 20% protein CHICKEN FEED!

#2. If my feed store doesn't carry or will not order what I Want/Need....I'm finding a new feed store. ASAP!

Jen it never hurts, but most do ok without it. Personally i do give mine oyster shell and vitamin suppliments too. But thats just me. The trick with oyster shell can be finding the right size crush for the quail.

Back
Top Bottom