Feed

kapie9969

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Feeding those hungry chickens! I have bantams for pets some eggs and their use as an incubator.I would consider the chicken type,leghorns are said to consume less feed if you want eggs.The feed in Arizona is around twenty bucks a bag.So im trying to work past that.I buy small salad mix packets and plant in small flower box's,i ordered some flats and plan on a variety of stuff.purslane and barley grass.I like to snip some off and keep things growing.This is all inside my greenhouse.At first i was going to let them roam free but they just destroy everything in no time,so i trim stuff off and feed them.
Im on the rabbit diet so my buddy's get romaine lettuce and spinach from me.Ive been sprouting mung beans and they like that also.I had some old wheat stored and i planted that in the flower box's also,i get those from the dollar store.It keeps on agrowing.
I do some work at a food bank and they clean veggies and i get some stuff there also,they are kind and leave bags out, of tops and cleaned veggies for chicken owners.The occasional small melon seems much loved.Oh the salad mix is good for trimming and regrowing.I have started raising mealworms but haven't seen the payoff with that yet. I do admit some confusion about if the grass stalks have nutrition because everyone keeps talking about seed heads.Also feed some on sale bird feed,lots of millet and some other stuff.wheat berrys.Oats from a large bag i bought on sale.
From reading about romaine lettuce it is high in protein.I keep a lot of this in mind since im considering raising quail which have a higher protein requirement.It should be cute seeing my bantams hatch quail.
I read that in the winter corn is good as a late day feed so chickens survive the cold,i think corn isn't going to be cheap so ill have to work on something to replace it.

No i was just adding my two cents,for what its worth.I am wondering what to replace corn with. These are my first chickens and ive learned a lot just reading others posts.

Back
Top Bottom