Feeder/waterer inside and outside? How many of each?

michellerene

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
Graham, WA
I just have 6 girls. I'm thinking I need a waterer both inside the coop and outside in the pen. My question, though is whether I need a feeder both inside & outside as well. It seems like too much to have two feeders, but where should I keep it-- inside the coop our out in the run? They have free access to both during the day & are shut up in the coop at night. The run has wire on the top to keep out wild birds, etc.

I'd be careful with the feed and water outside. Other birds might be attracted to it and leave droppings that could spread disease to your chickens. I would keep the feeder and waterer inside...Just my 2 cents.

Andy

PS Never mind...I missed that your run was secure...:)

Yeah... they would have to be itty bitty birds to get in there-- there is chicken wire enclosing everything & heavier welded wire three feet up from the ground... anyway...

Any input? Do they need food in the coop at night?

I keep mine both inside which they always have access to. I lock them up at night and just in case I sleep in longer than them, it has'nt happened yet {my girls are late risers.} There is always a first time for everything. While feed is not critical, water is. Especially as the days get hotter. Lack of water even for a short time can affect egg production. Read that in one of my 3 books. Or here in Ok. 100* days, last year we had over 30. I'm not ready for that.

Also as Mayberrysaint said just my 2 cents.

Okay, so a waterer both inside and outside & feeder inside only?

I never sleep in. I have a toddler.
big_smile.png
(and I just can't anymore anyway!)

Last edited:
I wish my birds slept late. My roosters start between 3:30 and 4:15 in the morning. I have 4 cornish cross roosters(who are very loud) and 1 bantam rooster (Can barley hear him)
Once they start, everything else wakes up.

I keep the feeder inside only but throw out treats in the pen to scratch for. I have 2 waterers, one inside, one out in the pen. Yesterday I took the one out of the pen to refill it, got busy and didn't replace it right away. They still had access to the one inside. About 2 hours later I refilled the outside one. You would have thought they were dying of thirst! They all came running to the waterer! I guess they are just used to drinking from that one. merry

Last edited:
I lock my 20 chickens up at night in the coop. I let them out at daylight to freerange all day.

I have a hanging feeder in the coop and also water inside. I also have water outside for them. They go in and out all day drinking from both waterers.

I have chickens from 6 weeks old to adults. The 2 waterers keep them from fighting over just 1. The older chickens run off the smaller ones and they either wait for the adults to finish or they go to the other waterer.

Back
Top Bottom