Feeding at night ?

freckledfairy

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
South Carolina
So we’re about to move our girls out to their coop in the next week or two. Right now in their brooder they free feed. We mix up a little bit of their crumble and water 2-3x a day, otherwise they have a feeder of the same crumble, just dry, all day.

I feel silly asking this question but I haven’t found a definitive answer anywhere. Do you let your ducks have food and water in their coop overnight? Or just in the run during the day? Can ducks be without overnight? Do I need to transition them to a schedule?

We have a approximately 5’x10’ run and then a 5’x5’ coop.

Advice and expertise needed! Thank you

They will be fine overnight without food, Especially if there are no outdoor lights for them to see anything. They can't see well in the dark so once the sun has gone down it's not like they're walking around and doing a bunch of stuff. They're settled down for the night.
Thank you! I appreciate it 😊

Food is a great way to get ducks back in at night but I feed right at dusk and usually only enough to fill crops. And I agree ducks are active at night if something is going on. Lots of “lovemaking”

Food is a great way to get ducks back in at night but I feed right at dusk and usually only enough to fill crops. And I agree ducks are active at night if something is going on. Lots of “lovemaking”
My ladies have come running out of their duck house lately looking so disheveled/feathers fluffed in the mornings.....my guess was the "lovemaking" due to the season 😆 no neck feathers missing or anything, so my drake is still being a gentleman I hope lol.

They will be fine overnight without food, Especially if there are no outdoor lights for them to see anything. They can't see well in the dark so once the sun has gone down it's not like they're walking around and doing a bunch of stuff. They're settled down for the night.
I wish my flock could read your post my friend. Mine are up almost all night and make noise off and on. They do have water and food 24/7 and are not enclosed into any enclosure other than the covered pen which keeps them all safe. I think mine must have glasses or something because their night vision seems good for all of the running around they do. lol

I wish my flock could read your post my friend. Mine are up almost all night and make noise off and on. They do have water and food 24/7 and are not enclosed into any enclosure other than the covered pen which keeps them all safe. I think mine must have glasses or something because their night vision seems good for all of the running around they do. lol
My ducks have periods of wakefulness during the night, then go back to sleep. My son has a very noise crested pekin who wakes up shouting between 3am and 4am. Shouting for no particular reason except that she can!!!

Back
Top Bottom