feeding chicken feeds?

I think one of the concerns with GMO's is that you don't know where the genes are coming from. They now have the technology, for example, to insert genes from animals into plants, etc. That's the kind of freaky stuff I want to avoid...

That said, I buy most of my food off the regular grocery store shelves. It comes down to balancing what I spend my money on and more often than not, the regular stuff wins. I mean today, I had the choice of $1.69 for unbleached wheat flour or almost $6 at the same grocery store for the only kind of whole wheat flour on the shelf. The unbleached won...gmo or not...

Thank you Rozzie, that is exactly it! Genetically Modified in a lab inserting animal genes in to veggies, or vice versa. I am not worried about selective breeding or cross breeding and I don't see that as being genetically modified. When a pesticide is injected into a plant gene to make it immune to that particular pesticide to allow it to then be drenched in that pesticide as it is growing to kill the weeds around it, that's the type of Genetically Modified that I will not eat. That Corn is registered as a pesticide itself. I am not going to experiment with myself, my daughter, or my husband to see if it will have long term effects on us or our environment. It is just how I feel about it. I know not everyone feels the same way, and we can still be friends, for instance, I am Jewish and my best friend is Christian
wink.png

And just so you know I am not a hypocrite, I don't eat at restaurants, I make all my own food, you will not find canned or boxed food in my pantry and I shop for stuff I don't grow at farmer's markets and organic grocery stores
smile.png

I'm not a grower but consumer but would like to chime in.

Here are some scientific sources that show what GM could do animals and, ultimately, to larger animals - us. Just some quotes if you don't have the time to read the rest:

"After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups."
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/article-gmo-soy-linked-to-sterility

And here is a list of these scientiests that are being silenced worldwide:

"Dr. Ermakova (Rissia) reported her preliminary findings at a conference in October 2005, asking the scientific community to replicate her study. Instead, she was attacked and vilified. Her boss told her to stop doing anymore GM food research. Samples were stolen from her lab, and a paper was even set fire on her desk. One of her colleagues tried to comfort her by saying, "Maybe the GM soy will solve the overpopulation problem."
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...odified-foods-than-youre-allowed-to-know.aspx

Google ' hampsters grow hair inside their mouths' pictures - gross!

I wish I could grow my own food entirely (so far, just plants, no animals but I do buy from local Amish friends). Now, if I could find a quail egg supplier anywhere in the country that feeds natural/organic and ships to Illinois
wink.png

Quote:
EAT A POTENTIALLY HARMFUL FOOD TODAY AND PAY THE PIPER LATER? OR STARVE NOW AND BE DONE WITH IT? I THINK MOST OF US WOULD BE IN THAT BOAT WITH YOU ROZZIE.

Quote:
EAT A POTENTIALLY HARMFUL FOOD TODAY AND PAY THE PIPER LATER? OR STARVE NOW AND BE DONE WITH IT? I THINK MOST OF US WOULD BE IN THAT BOAT WITH YOU ROZZIE.

There are many ways to cooperatively order organics (the only reliably way to be GMO free), frontier, tree of life and there are more companies. Buying in bulk helps too. I know though, that is expensive! I spend over 50$ a month oneggs, which is why I'm looking to produce my own! I buy produce from a local farm, and a wholesale buying club and a local co-op. But if you can afford even a few organics only then to me aminal products are the most important ones. Buying in bulk (1/4-1/8 grassfed beef) helps with the cost. There are also lists called the "clean 15 and the dirty dozen" specifying which produce items are the most important to buy organic.

Just one more thought on GMOS- selectively breading is far different- that is a natural process, whereas GMOs often are so unnatural. Most GMOs cannot have the seeds saved- b/c they won't grow true to the parent plant, and many have extremely low germination rates, and overall a high rate of crop failure. Hybrids are also trouble for the same reason (although not all hybrids are GMO) and GMOs are MEANT to elliminate biodiversity(causes crop failure), which is crutial to the survival of our lives...

a good example is that say you buy a GMO corn seed, lets call it corntastic for now. You may be a farmer, who counts on your corn crop to feed your family and pay the bills, or you may be a backyard farmer looking to grow more corn to save money, for a hobby or whatever your reason. The corn you've previously grown is heirloom, and has a fair amount of natural biodiversity. That means some stalks will be taller, some shorter, some with deeper roots, some that grow faster then others, and ears of all different sizes. Some plants will produce many ears, and some very few. You've saved the seeds of the best plants for as long as you can remeber each year.

Then you hear about this corntastic variey, and it grows FASTER, TALLER and produces more! You've seen your neighbors switch over to it. So the next season you buy this seed, and plant it. Even with the cost of seed, you make more money that season on your corn, and don't mind buying more seed the next season. Season 2 goes just as well, However, the 3rd season the plants need commercial fertalizer, as they've robbed your soil of so many nutrients and it is expensive. The 4th season there are 2 windstorms. With your heirloom variety the plants that were shorter, and with deeper roots could survive, and you NEVER lost an entire crop, but the GMO corntastic has none of that biodiversity, and you loose all of your crop. You've saved money, so you can barely afford the seds and the fertalizers that are necessary for the corntastic to grow well. That 5th season you have an early frost. With your heirloom you'd get the some early ears... but again you have a full crop failure.... and in season 6 you get forclosed and loose the family farm that you've had for generations.

Of course, there are many upsides to the GMOs, but the health risks, lack of biodiversity and lack of standards, safety regulations, ethics and more makes those benefits small in comparison.

I figured out a recipe to feed my quail organic, with thelp from PMs from a few people, and if anyone wants it feel free to message me.
Cheryl

Quote:
A well known Indian actor/producer made a movie "Peepli Live," about this in his country. " Lured by the promise of greater production, farmers are pressured into mortgaging their farms to purchase genetically modified seeds, pesticides, and fertilizer from American companies like Monsanto. Since GM seeds are patented by Monsanto, their repeated use each year requires constant licensing fees that keep farmers impoverished. One bad yield due to drought or other reasons, plunges farmers so deep into debt that they resort to suicide. One study estimates that 150,000 farmers have killed themselves in the past ten years."

http://www.alternet.org/world/14782..._150,000_farmer_suicides_in_india?page=entire

I agree with Cheryl on gmo crud. My family only buys organic and we feed our dogs homemade food (since one dog is allergic to meat...). I am a geneticist wannabe BUT I am not the type that wants to create frakenfoods and such. I am more for what can you change environmentally (in a good way) for the same production and better wellbeing for the birds...aka epigenes
smile.png
I am into colors, as you all know too ;p I do believe that more people are getting cancer do to the environmental changes in their diets (frakenfoods and such). I do believe that this can be changed. I "accidentally" grew corn and wheat from my manna pro feed a few months back. I know for a fact if GMOs were in there that would not happen, right? I may be mistaken. I have a long ways to go in my education but I do believe you are what you eat. If you eat twinkies the rest of your life, you will end up being a twinkie
tongue.png

Finding the right feed for your quail is important. You want maximum egg production and wellbeing of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom