Feeding chickens and ducks housed together

All our adult fowl run together. Chickens (both standard and bantam), guineas, ducks, geese, turkeys...

All eat laying pellets and get a handful of scratch every now and then and maybe a handfull of whole corn if the garden did well.

The chicks and ducklings, as kuntrygirl stated, eat different foods.

I would say yes, check if there's a supplement of niacin in it. Ducks legs need it for their legs up to 10 weeks. I would check w/ countrygirl74. She has been such a big help to us. And join our Pekin Duck Club, read it from the beginning to really learn alot, about us to. Even if you don't have Pekin's you can still read it. Your answer will be in there!

I have a similar question. I've had muskovy ducks and australorb chickens in the same pen for a while now and I was feeding all of them layer feed with no problems. Now I have some younger ducks in there ( 2months) and i'm confused about how to feed them. I switched to an all purpose food but noticed that my hens slowed down on production. But I was told no to feed the non laying birds the layer food because they could grow deformed. I do not have the accomodations to separate the young ones from the laying ones (and they are as big as the adult ducks). Any suggestions on how to handle this situation? thank you very much.

Also, for the young ducks, should I let them eat freely because they are growing and need the food? or should I just do it twice a day or so? (they are also free range).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom