Feeding chickens layer feed

welcome-byc.gif

Grower crumbles would be better for them...you can actually keep them on that even after they start laying, just once they start laying, put out some crushed oyster shell for them to eat as they wish. This article in the Learning Center may be helpful to you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feeding-chickens-an-introductory-guide

Thanks for joining us!

Hi and welcome to BYC. NFC's advice is sound. Keeping the oyster shell in separate feeder will allow you to keep a mixed age / gender flock without stressing about the kind of food they need - growers feed will suit them all and those laying will eat bits of the oyster shell in order to give them the calcium they need.

G’Day from down under Dayton
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That much calcium that early is likely to affect growth and production, as it pretty much fries the kidneys. I wouldn't be surprised if you see overall shortened lifespans and poorer production from this.

You will want to keep them on a grower for a long while yet - even when they start laying I would suggest simply supplementing with oyster shell rather than switching to a layer.

welcome-byc.gif

Grower crumbles would be better for them...you can actually keep them on that even after they start laying, just once they start laying, put out some crushed oyster shell for them to eat as they wish. This article in the Learning Center may be helpful to you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/feeding-chickens-an-introductory-guide

Thanks for joining us!
+1. That is what I do as I have a mixed flock: 5 growing pullets, 3 hens-a-laying, 2 that are not...
and a roo who keeps challenging me.

Anyway, the layers need the extra calcium and the pullets the extra protein - which won't hurt the others - so I feed them all flock raiser and have a separate dish of oyster/ground egg shell. the hens that are laying eagerly gobble this up whenever I top it off, the rest give it a curious peck, then ignore it. Chickens know when their body needs the extra calcium and when it doesn't, and are somehow able to differentiate between it and regular grit.

I also started to ferment their feed in order to make the nutrients in the feed more accessible to them, especially now that it's getting colder.

Last edited:
Thank u all I love this chicken community
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have to agree with @QueenMisha on this.
sad.png

It's unfortunate that so many feed store employees give bad information..... I would return and let them know (and their boss) that they were dead wrong and shouldn't be giving advice if they don't know what they are talking about!
somad.gif
Following the suggestion on the bag would have been better than that.

I use flock raiser with 20% protein and 1% calcium and OS on the side for my mixed age and gender flock. I will NEVER use layer as we don't need the diminished protein level or the excess calcium.

18% purina feather fixer is what I feed my flock of 4 hens, 2 pullets, and cockerel. Not too much calcium for those that don't need it but enough for my hens to lay frequently.
What is the calcium level in that?

Why not use Flock Raiser instead of the "feather fixer" gimmick? It probably does help fix feather more than the 16% layer since feathers are made of protein. But is it the same price? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom