Feeding cornish cross

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
I have 25 2 week old cornish birds I've been feeding them in a plastic 18 inch red trough for chicks I know they're supposed to have feed 24/7 for the first few weeks then go to 12 and 12. Main question is instead of weighing out the feed like 2lbs a day or 4 lbs a day is it ok to just load a bigger feeder and just remove the feeder itself after 12 hours. The trough was empty in less than 10 minutes yesterday I refilled it but honestly they didn't really eat for the rest of the day just kinda pecked here and there.

I give my Cornish X as much feed as they want for the duration of the 12 hours. It works for me and they seem to be on track with their weights for their age. Some people measure feed or do something like giving them as much as they can eat in two 15-minute feedings a day, but I've found that so far just doing the 12 hour thing gives them about the right amount of feed they need. I'm a first-timer for Cornish X though, fyi.

These are my first. I was trying to weigh the feed per pound a day but life and work I gotta simplify things so I started putting in a 15 pound feeder at 4 am when I leave for work and pull it out when my layers start roosting in the evening outside. I did notice when weighing the feed they pounced on the trough at 4 am all the food was gone really fast and at the evening time feed they just weren't really eating much at all. I think this will work ok or it seems to be doing OK for now. I also learned to raise that feeder to their backs they will waste a ton of feed if they can just sit and peck through it.

These are my first. I was trying to weigh the feed per pound a day but life and work I gotta simplify things so I started putting in a 15 pound feeder at 4 am when I leave for work and pull it out when my layers start roosting in the evening outside. I did notice when weighing the feed they pounced on the trough at 4 am all the food was gone really fast and at the evening time feed they just weren't really eating much at all. I think this will work ok or it seems to be doing OK for now. I also learned to raise that feeder to their backs they will waste a ton of feed if they can just sit and peck through it.
Yeah, the simpler the better when you're busy! And I've also had good luck with raising the feed. I expected my CX to be laying around eating, but the feeder I have has legs that make it tall enough that they can't reach it when they lay. Not only does it keep them from wasting feed, but I think keeping them upright is probably also good to prevent those leg issues that are common. I would imagine spending too much time lying down weakens the legs and makes things more difficult as they get heavier.

Good luck with your birds! :)

It's in the 80s and 60s here for the next week or 2 I have plenty of heat lamps to use. Can I move these meat birds out to the tractor. This brooder is getting annihilated every 3 days.
16663873117022572356263034642946.jpg

It's in the 80s and 60s here for the next week or 2 I have plenty of heat lamps to use. Can I move these meat birds out to the tractor. This brooder is getting annihilated every 3 days. View attachment 3298765
Yeah I think you're good! I moved mine out at 3 weeks and the lows were in the 50s and then 40s the following week.

One thing another user recommended that I found useful was making a "huddle box" for them to snuggle up in. Just something with sides to block the wind and some bedding for insulation. I only have 6 so mine was just a cardboard box with pine shavings at the bottom.

After observing how much they can eat, I keep enough food for them to eat as much as they want for the first month and then take away their feed in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom