Feeding Fish Scraps

Homesteader at Heart

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Suriname, South America
Hello!

This has probably been covered before, but I am new on this forum and have not seen anything on the topic. So...here goes.

Has anyone had experience feeding fish scraps to chickens for protein? For example, after filleting fish, there are heads, backbones and rib pieces with flesh attached, etc. My idea is to dry these, then grind and feed as needed, along with corn or some other grain. Any ideas?

If fresh and they will eat it with no contamination in the area caught. I don't see why not. My Grandfathers's flock used to eat minnows from his pond. I'm a bit floored by things they will eat so fresh fish couldn't be worse than beetles,worms or mice.
lol.png

I would be concerned the fish would effect the flavor of the meat and eggs.

Dried compost worms are reported to be 82% protein. I dont feed them for the protein just as treats.

I'm still pretty new to chickens as well, however, I have read on other forums where people do feed the fish remains to their chickens. One person somewhere mentioned just throwing the whole thing to the chickens (after fillets are taken off) and they will clean it up and leave what they don't want.

I am raising fish to eat and actually plan to do this. If I have more than one or two fish, I will likely cook them up like making stock and then grind the whole thing in the blender. Then it can be mixed in other food for the chickens or other pets.

If the fish was from the ocean it would have lots of trace elements that might be beneficial but I think that with fresh water fish this is less likely, the protean will be good but you do not want to attract predators.

Back
Top Bottom