Feeding molting chickens

Hi Everyone,
I'm new at the posting so please bear with me. I have two Hens about 3 1/2 years old. They are Molting now and have stopped laying eggs at this time. Is there any additional foods I can give them to help with the molting and egg production. I have been feeding them laying mash and addition to that, I have been feeding them lots of leafy greens. They get additional protien from the meny bugs they find (they love the earwigs---yuck!!) Any help and suggestions are greatfully welcomed.
That's so much,
Crazyblazi:

I don't add light when the days are shorter, so mine stop laying. Mine are molting, too. It takes lots of energy just to grow feathers. Mine tend to be picky, but as others have said, mashed up hard boiled eggs was a winner. They also get black oiled sunflower seeds (BOSS) and cottage cheese. If you don't have light to "extend" their days, they'll stop laying. For me, it's a rest well deserved, especially as they molt.

Sure hope I'm in the Feeding & watering section ...
I have 12 hens (laying) actually tho they arrived back in July of this year. I got 6 hens which were just starting to lay eggs and 6 day old chicks... now the adults are all doing well and the chicks started laying just this past 7-10 days. My set-up is that they are AWAY from predators and we set them up UP in our loft. We made a seperate area for the chicks at the time but will definitely need to make it larger next spring. We are in Eastern Canada and the temps get EXTREMELY COLD here during winter. This past week we had our 1st snowstorm and their water FROZE !!!!! I see that we will have to get their water daily from the house but do any of you have ideas to keep the water unthawed ? I did buy a bucket for the dogs which keeps the water unthawed and I paid $49.00 CAD for that one ... when I spoke to the fella at the farm equipment store he showed me water holders for chickens ... yikes - they're 50.00 CAD !!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna need 2 of them as the chicks - now hens too and the adults are in seperate pens. !! OH also I saw someone mention about canned fish (sardines, tuns ) for protein ... can I buy a whole fish or such and just let them at it ??? to enjoy ? lol - I'll have to go fishing now to feed my hens a treat of fish !! They do get feed for laying chickens from the FEED STORE but I also give them any lift overs I have. I am a German Shepherd breeder too so between my Full-time job, my dogs and my chickens I'm busy !! I am enjoying the chickens alot tho ... !!

Karen

Thanks for the advice about the sunflower seeds, I will use that. I don't mind that they are not laying (they do need the rest) I was just wanting to give them some extra goodies to help with the molting and to put on more weight. Thanks again you guys.

Quote:
I get a 22% poultry feed but I also feed mine sunflower seed mixed in their scratch grains for daily treats.

Back
Top Bottom