feeding oats?

mom'sfolly :

Wow, I love it when I learn something new. Time for me to get some oats. I feed my girls raw oatmeal, other than whole wheat spaghetti, it is their favorite snack.

Karen

wow whole wheat spaghetti?? I just threw some away the night before last, got carried away while making spaghetti and had a bunch left over. I will keep that one in my memory bank, thanks.​

Andy,
Are you feeding this now and what are the results ?

I don't know of anyone else who uses this method on BYC, but I would be curious of the results if they do. I have also never heard of anyone having a problem with their chicks growing too fast and laying too early. Most chicken owners are worried because it takes so long to get the first egg: the average being 20 weeks, but some breeds a month or more longer.

Growing chicks need protein. With the change from animal protein to plant protein, some owners were not seeing the results they used to in their birds. I am one of those as my chicks turned into horrible feather pickers until I switched feeds and added more protein to their diet. Chickens are also omnivores and eat bugs, meat and anything else they can find when given the opportunity.

The transition from starter to layer food should be gradual for the reasons Andy mentioned, but I can't see how cutting the feed with oats is going to be better for them.

Different people feed in different ways and what works for one flock may not be the best for another. I respect that. You find your best formula by experience and seeing the results in your own birds.

Carla,

The recommendation of mixing the starter ration with oats is from Storeys Guide. I have not personally used the feeding regimen but will be doing it on this batch of pullets.
In general, delaying reproductive onset (puberty) will increase the longevity of reproductive life and increase the time to first molt. The reduction in protein and energy intake is temporary from 8 weeks to approximately 20 weeks. I would definitely keep an eye out for signs of nutritional deficiencies. Many times these are the result of protein:energy imbalances. By cutting the ration with oats, not only is the protein decreased but also the energy level of the ration; thus, the protein:energy ratio is kept fairly in balance. If any abnormal behavior is noted, I would reduce the oat percentage.

Andy

Andy,
Another concern I have is that most birds love grain and you may find them picking the grain out in lieu of eating the commercial feed.

Keep us posted. Would like to see how well it works.

My DH said his grandparents never did this so we are not going to add any oats to our chicks feed. We have 20- two week old chicks. We are going to try it my DH's way. We also had just purchased some grown hens, well, one six month old pullet..australorp..she is laying for us daily and her eggs are a small size. We haven't fed any oats as yet and now will hold off. I am sure there are many folks out there who have fed oats and many who have not so maybe we will hear from them? Interesting subject now isn't it? It is so interesting the different methods we all use.

Last edited:
Usually feeding higher volumes of oats in a poultry diet with mean less protein intake although oats provide lot's of energy for the hens. I feed my hens about 30% oats 70% wheet with no store bought feed. For growwing birds you will need to keep protein intake high. So Growwer should probably take precedence if you have no access to wheet.

Back
Top Bottom