Feeds?

ReneSue90

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2024
What does everyone feed to their chickens to increase egg production, feather growth? I took in 40 chickens that were supposed to be laying but are not they were in terrible condition no feathers picking at each other, does anyone have a home made recipe that would help them? Right now i feed a 16% later, scratch an iv been adding bran meal? am also going to start fermenting the scratch.
thank you

hello @ReneSue90 welcome to BYC :frow

I've been making my own feed for over 2 years now, so I can recommend it with confidence if you let your newly acquired chickens out to forage on your land too. Your new birds sound like ex-battery hens, so it may take them a while to figure out foraging, but they'll get it if given the chance. Similarly they may take a while to figure out other things, but TLC and perseverance will take you all a long way.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

You don't say where you live. If you live in the northern hemisphere it would be unusual for hens to be laying. Give them some time.

Don't feed "scratch". If you want to add to their normal feed, give them whole oats and wheat. You can also add a few sunflower seeds.

I would give 20% protein feed, plus oyster shell on the side. This is what I feed all my chickens.
IMG_3404.jpeg

I use the Payback brand and usually just feed the waterfowl feed but I'm not sure if it's widely avaliable or not. That description makes me think that they're ex Battery hens, who likely are near the end of their egg laying career

I also would feed a 20 percent protein feed. (I use Kalmbach as well). Oyster shells on the side when they are ready to lay. Depending on the breed they will likely begin to lay again when the day light is longer.

I agree if these are "retired" layers you probably won't get as many eggs from them, when they're ready to lay again. Being in poor condition and in the middle of winter break (assuming you are in northern hemisphere) makes them even less likely to lay right now.

Don't bother with the scratch and bran and such. Protein may help a bit with refeathering, treats (like scratch) will not. Increase the protein in the feed to 18-20%. If they're not currently laying they don't need layer feed at all, all flock or grower would be better.

Back
Top Bottom