Is purina feed okay?

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
I honestly don’t like anything purina. I’ve never bought their products, and didn’t plan on it, but I’m new to chickens and one laid her first egg today. I went and got purina layer feed. My friend said the purina was good. I didn’t like that it was 16% protein, as they have been on 18% protein chick starter. I ideally wanted a 20% protein feed, but all the later feeds were 16% protein. I ended getting the purina layer crumbles. If anyone uses this, please tell me if it’s good. Also, can is it okay if I just switch feeds? I ran out of the chick starter today so I’m planning on just giving them the purina stuff tomorrow.

I honestly don’t like anything purina. I’ve never bought their products, and didn’t plan on it, but I’m new to chickens and one laid her first egg today. I went and got purina layer feed. My friend said the purina was good. I didn’t like that it was 16% protein, as they have been on 18% protein chick starter. I ideally wanted a 20% protein feed, but all the later feeds were 16% protein. I ended getting the purina layer crumbles. If anyone uses this, please tell me if it’s good. Also, can is it okay if I just switch feeds? I ran out of the chick starter today so I’m planning on just giving them the purina stuff tomorrow.
I feed my birds in one of my coops 20% Purina Flock Raiser, with oyster shells on the side in separate feeder so the ladies can supplement their own calcium intake.

I don't use layer feed.

I feed my birds in one of my coops 20% Purina Flock Raiser, with oyster shells on the side in separate feeder so the ladies can supplement their own calcium intake.

I don't use layer feed.
I also have a 20% protein all flock feed, but it’s pellets. My chickens have only had crumble, and when I tried the pellets they didn’t like it.

I also have a 20% protein all flock feed, but it’s pellets. My chickens have only had crumble, and when I tried the pellets they didn’t like it.
They'll eat it if it's the only they have to eat.

I feed 20% Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellets in a couple of other coops.

I've used the Purina flock raiser in the past. I would still be using it if Tractor Supply kept fresh feed in stock, but their feed (in our local stores) is always over 6 months to a year old when I stop in.
I now buy from Chewy. I like the Kalmbach 20% flock feed and Hudson Feed 18% flock maintainer.
Be sure and check the dates on feed. If it's over 6 months old purchase something else because it looses nutrients.

I honestly don’t like anything purina.
Then you probably won't like the feed no matter what any of us or a veterinarian tells you.

I didn’t like that it was 16% protein, as they have been on 18% protein chick starter. I ideally wanted a 20% protein feed, but all the later feeds were 16% protein.
You may be able to find a brand of Layer feed that is 18%, some companies make them, but the vast majority are 16%. That's what commercial operations generally use. The specially bred laying hybrids that are bred to lay a lot of large eggs typically have a fairly small body so they don't need as much nutrition to maintain a larger body. They are bred so most of the nutrition they eat goes into egg production. A higher protein content means larger eggs which can lead to some medical problems with their smaller bodies. It's not the commercial operations torturing their birds so they can save some money on feed but to help keep them healthy. We typically have larger breeds so it is not an issue with us.

As others have said, if you want a higher protein feed get an 18% to 20% feed and offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need the calcium generally know it and none of them usually overindulge. Non-laying chickens including broody hens, roosters, molting chickens, and growing chicks need some calcium for body maintenance or growth, so they might eat some. It is not a big deal.

Also, can is it okay if I just switch feeds? I ran out of the chick starter today so I’m planning on just giving them the purina stuff tomorrow.
Yes, it is fine to switch. Chickens often don't like change so their may be some issues, especially if you switch forms like pellets, mash, or crumbles, but they are not going to starve. They may like the new one better, you never know.

Good luck!

After all the huff about Purina changing up their formula and supposedly stopping chickens from laying, mine actually did stop laying. Not everyone had this issue. Mine didn't lay for months even though everything seemed perfectly normal. I changed their feed to Kalmbach a while after, and first served it to them mixed with the Purina. Would you believe it, they started picking around the Purina and going only for the Kalmbach. Got eggs a couple weeks later. Haven't had an issue since. I had them on the layer, but wanted more protein, so I switched to the %20 flock raiser(also for the sake of my roosters), offered oyster on the side, and they are all producing lovely, strong eggs. I recommend going for more organic brands with higher protein. The chickens like them better too, it seems.

I feed Purina Flock Raiser, with separate oyster shell. It's fresh (within two months by mill date) where I shop, so our best choice. Once in a while, if the FR is older, I'll buy an unmedicated chick starter to get by. Kalmbach's feed is sold at another store, and held in an outdoor shed there, very poor conditions IMO, I won't buy it.
Get something that's fresh where you shop, and consider the 20% protein all flock type feeds, best for our mixed aged flocks.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom