Cracked corn feed

Just curiousā€¦ is there some kind of advantage to feeding cracked corn versus whole grain?
I thought my 7 week chicks might be too small for whole grain corn, but they seem to relish it and are thriving IMO.
Cracked corn is more digestible by some species - 7% more by cattle. I've seen claims by random people on the internet that it is more digestible by chickens but I don't believe them. I think they may have seen "more digestible" without noticing the context that was said. Cattle don't grind their food much - you often see whole kernels of corn in the manure. That doesn't mean they aren't getting nutrition from it but they clearly get more when the kernels are at least cracked. Vs chickens who grind food pretty thoughly in their crops.

I don't not believe them either. I haven't cared enough about it for chickens to look for reputable sources. They may have.

I never implied or said that. I was speaking of corn in general. Cracked corn is easier digest and is easier to ship since it takes up less space in a bag.
Ok, you responded to the question ā€œwhatā€™s the advantage of cracked versus whole grainā€. I guess it didnā€™t read that part? The styrofoam comparison was pretty funny though.

Ok, you responded to the question ā€œwhatā€™s the advantage of cracked versus whole grainā€. I guess it didnā€™t read that part? The styrofoam comparison was pretty funny though.
No, I read it, there just is no difference between cracked or whole corn, nutritionally speaking. I feed neither.

Cracked corn is more digestible by some species - 7% more by cattle. I've seen claims by random people on the internet that it is more digestible by chickens but I don't believe them. I think they may have seen "more digestible" without noticing the context that was said. Cattle don't grind their food much - you often see whole kernels of corn in the manure. That doesn't mean they aren't getting nutrition from it but they clearly get more when the kernels are at least cracked. Vs chickens who grind food pretty thoughly in their crops.

I don't not believe them either. I haven't cared enough about it for chickens to look for reputable sources. They may have.
I figured chickens didnā€™t need cracked corn because of their gizzards being able to grind whole grain.
Knowing that there is a nutritional loss when cracked corn ages it didnā€™t make sense to me nutritionally.
I feed whole grain Indian corn as a treat. Apparently it has higher protein levels than contemporary hybrid corn. And styrofoamšŸ¤Ŗ
Sorry if my direct question was misunderstood. No disrespect to random or non random people.

I was a little concerned when I first opened the bag because it basically looks like minimal fine powder and mostly cracked corn. Just a little concerned about this being mostly corn.
I agree with those that said without nutritional information I can't answer your questions. It is possible that is a good feed for laying hens, it is possible it is not. But I do have some other questions.

It was mostly cracked corn when you opened the bag. Had most of the powder settled to the bottom of the bag? Was what you first saw a good representation of that feed?

Which brings up another point. If you feed that as is the powder will settle to the bottom of the feeder and the chickens will almost certainly pick out the corn first. A lot of the goodies in the powder may not be eaten, especially not equally by all. If there is enough powder in it to bind it together if you wet it and make a paste you can be more assured they are all getting the full benefit.

Can you chat with the people at the grain elevator to see what they can tell you about that feed? Sounds like you don't know if it has enough calcium in it for eggshells let alone other ingredients.

Without knowing more I'd only use that as a treat and primarily feed them a feed with known nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom