Cracked corn feed

Cracked corn has the germ removed. The germ is where the protein is. I suspect somebody came in and ordered the formula and so the elevator is selling it as an acceptable mix. This is how I got my mineral mix from my elevator, a recipe from one of the local sheep herders.

I think I would use this "feed" as a treat and go buy something better.
Cracked corn still has all the components of the corn kernel.

When I first started with chickens over 20 years ago I was told, and later read, that cracked corn, from the elevator, was cracked because they removed the germ and put it into cornmeal or another corn feed mix. It would increase the amount of protein in the feed. This may be outdated, or sometimes done and sometimes not.

I never use cracked corn anyway because as soon as you break the seed it starts loosing nutrition. Obviously if you roll it/crack it yourself it isn't sitting on the shelf for very long. It is supposed to be easier to digest because of the smaller particles, but you also get more dust.

I'm guessing they also get a lot of free range time?

Have you ever had a necropsy on deaths? In 30 yrs, I'm sure you've had some unexplained deaths.
No I haven’t had any unexplained deaths. The average life span of my chickens has been 5 years that’s when I butcher them for the stew pot. The chickens get out of the run every couple days for about 2 hours.
Mark

Well it has worked for me for 30+ years and my chickens are healthy and happy, so I will stick with it.
Mark
A friend I give free eggs to bought me a 50 lb bag of whole corn. First time I've ever fed my chickens any whole corn was today.I fed them 2 scoops of Kalmbach egg layer crumbles to 1 scoop of corn.They went straight for the corn .

Back
Top Bottom