Purina Layer Feed

The cheek coop

Crowing
Jun 20, 2023
London Ky
Good day all!
I posted about 6 weeks ago about the Health Harvest chicken feed that Walmart had started to carry and since then I’ve had a good experience with that feed and would highly recommend it.
I recently received a coupon from Tractor Supply Co for 50% off Purina feed. I purchased the feed and fed it to my hens. At first they didn’t go near it but eventually the youngest one started to peck at it. They all started to peck but soon walked away and looked at me like “ok that was funny, now where’s our food?” They proceeded to empty the food dispenser onto the ground. Needless to say they do not like it.
I said all that to say this, has anyone else had issues with Purina feed?

It did come from TSC but it is not the Producers Pride brand that is so controversial.

They proceeded to empty the food dispenser onto the ground. Needless to say they do not like it.
Is it a different shape than the previous feed....such as pellets vs crumble?
Are the protein percentages different?
Did you check the MFG date on the bag to see if it's older than 2-3 months?

Some folks love to hate......but I've fed Purina Flock Raiser for 10 years with no problems.

Is it a different shape than the previous feed....such as pellets vs crumble?
Are the protein percentages different?
Did you check the MFG date on the bag to see if it's older than 2-3 months?

Some folks love to hate......but I've fed Purina Flock Raiser for 10 years with no problems.
It’s crumble the same thing they have been eating since I’ve had them. It is the same % but it smells sweet and is a dark brown there previous feed was a yellowish tan. They are eating but it’s out of hunger not because they like it.

I've been feeding Purina FR for 10 years and find it fairly good. I like the 20% protein and the nutritional profile is good. It's available at my local feed store for a reasonable price.

That being said, every now and then I open a bag where I just don't like the smell. It's not rancid or moldy, it just lacks that fresh corn smell. Mill date is less than 3 months ago. It's not been a big of problem to get me to change to a different brand, however. At least not yet.

It’s crumble the same thing they have been eating since I’ve had them. It is the same % but it smells sweet and is a dark brown there previous feed was a yellowish tan. They are eating but it’s out of hunger not because they like it.
Did you check the MFG date?

It might just take some getting used to, give them time.

Back
Top Bottom