Feeding older hens

HBRRanchCO

Songster
Dec 15, 2017
Simla, CO
I'm trying to wade through all of the information on this site and the internet to see what is best for my chickens. I have some back story and information about the chickens now vs in a few months and I'd love to get some opinions on ways to improve what I feed them, some ideas on amounts, and ideas for the future.

I am in Colorado and it is winter. I have 3 hens, they are older and I'm not sure I'll get any eggs from them. The friend I got them from a few weeks ago said that she only got about a dozen eggs between the 3 of them over the past year.

I got a bag of layer pellets from my local feed store because that is what she said she fed them. Then after talking to a couple of friends and reading, I also got them a bag of scratch, some grit, and some oyster shell pieces. So they have a feeder with pellets in it, and containers of oyster & grit available. Then a couple times a day we mix a little scratch in with some pellets and sprinkle it in their run. My fiance noticed they weren't really eating the pellets out of the feeder but that if he sprinkles them out like scratch they gobble them up. SO he has been mixing a little scratch in with pellets to make sure they're eating more pellets than I haven't given them too many treats (veggies, oatmeal etc) since we got them, but have been reading up on what they can / cant eat.

We have been letting them out to roam the backyard on nice days for an hour or two at a time before putting them back in their coop, so they're getting some additional stuff I'm sure, but not much since it is winter and the bugs are at a minimum right now. I know that some things will change with their nutrition requirements if they start to lay, and as the weather gets warmer. We also give them a few dried mealworms as a treat to train them to go back into their coop (which seems to be working awesomely).

Just to throw a bit of a twist in, in a few months when we get a larger area built for them I would like to get 3 more hens, but younger egg-laying ones. I'm considering keeping the 2 sets separate from each other vs putting all 6 together, because their nutritional needs are bound to be a bit different. I am only allowed to have 6 hens where I am, no roosters. If I were to build another coop it would probably be big enough for 6 hens, but I could still keep this smaller one if I decided I wanted to keep them separate. If I keep the two groups apart, I would need to get another set of equipment, so that is something to consider. As far as types, I'm not sure, ones that are good with the cold.

I know I'm totally overthinking this whole thing and I don't intend to make it sound like I'm worried or anything. I am just trying to figure all this stuff out and thought maybe some of you would have some thoughts for me. Keeping in mind that I only have 3 hens right now and might possibly have 6 in the future, so a lot fewer chickens than a lot of you have.

Another thought I had earlier was is there anyone who buys bags of different ingredients and feeds their own mix instead of buying pellets? or is pellets just the way to go when you just have a few hens that are more pets than anything?

I feed an All Flock to all ages with a separate bowl of oyster shells for any that require calcium. If I have chicks in the flock I will also feed a non medicated starter grower.

You shouldn't feed pellets on the ground as there's risk of mold. I do throw out some scratch daily to give them something to peck and scratch for.

I feed an All Flock to all ages with a separate bowl of oyster shells for any that require calcium. If I have chicks in the flock I will also feed a non medicated starter grower.

You shouldn't feed pellets on the ground as there's risk of mold. I do throw out some scratch daily to give them something to peck and scratch for.
Good to know. We will keep that all in mind. Thanks.

How old is old? My flock is oldish ranging from 2-6. I endured a long period of 0 eggs. With that really cold spell we had first of the year I went back to fermenting my feed just to make sure they were getting enough to drink. Within a week, I went from 1 egg a day to 6. They are all 2 year Olds laying. Coincidence? It was probably a combination of things but I'll stick with the fermented feed. Normally I mix ranchway's 20% layer and their All Poultry 50/50 and have egg or oyster shell on the side. No need to feed or house the 2 groups separately. Once you get the younger group to POL they will have the same nutritional needs. Don't over feed scratch and treats. Fat hens are not good layers. Mine do have access to a large compost pile, hay, horse poop and anything they can scrounge free ranging but are still chowing down on their feed.

How old is old? My flock is oldish ranging from 2-6. I endured a long period of 0 eggs. With that really cold spell we had first of the year I went back to fermenting my feed just to make sure they were getting enough to drink. Within a week, I went from 1 egg a day to 6. They are all 2 year Olds laying. Coincidence? It was probably a combination of things but I'll stick with the fermented feed. Normally I mix ranchway's 20% layer and their All Poultry 50/50 and have egg or oyster shell on the side. No need to feed or house the 2 groups separately. Once you get the younger group to POL they will have the same nutritional needs. Don't over feed scratch and treats. Fat hens are not good layers. Mine do have access to a large compost pile, hay, horse poop and anything they can scrounge free ranging but are still chowing down on their feed.
They are all at least 6. The friend I got them from is their second owner and the first owner had them for 4+ years, then my friend had them for a couple years.

I have not looked into fermented feed, so I have no clue what that is. I will do some reading. My fiancé loves to over treat every one of our pets so I’m gently trying to get him reel in the scratch and treats.

What is POL?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Point of lay. When you see the first eggs. Up to that point you are feeding anything but layer feed.
6 is getting up there. What breeds? Some breeds are basically done at 2 while others are still churning an occasional egg at 6+. It would be an interesting experiment if fermenting feed extends laying longevity.

Point of lay. When you see the first eggs. Up to that point you are feeding anything but layer feed.
6 is getting up there. What breeds? Some breeds are basically done at 2 while others are still churning an occasional egg at 6+. It would be an interesting experiment if fermenting feed extends laying longevity.
Ah ha! Makes sense. Best I can tell two are Australorps and one is a gold Hamburg, although my friend said she’s a Campine.

They do look very similar. Campines have single combs and Hamburgs have rose combs. Of course hatchery birds always have wonky combs so it doesn't apply. BAs are know to be great long producers. I think you should see something out of them

They do look very similar. Campines have single combs and Hamburgs have rose combs. Of course hatchery birds always have wonky combs so it doesn't apply. BAs are know to be great long producers. I think you should see something out of them
Yeah, I don't know where she came from so no idea exactly which breed, but that's okay, she is pretty either way :) Her name is Bridget.

Good to know on the others, I am hoping maybe with the change of scenery and maybe some better nutrition and pampering that they'll be happy enough to give me some more eggs. If they do I'll be ecstatic. If they don't, it'll be okay :) I got them to be "starter chickens" for us to learn about chickens, so I'm happy with them as pets. Eggs would be nice though!

Back
Top Bottom