feeding question

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
My girls are almost 4 months old. One is already laying and we are transitioning to layer feed as the others are probably not far behind her. My question is, I have read that when they are chicks to keep food and water available at all times as they grow. Now that they are almost 4 months old, do I need to start feeding a certain amount or is it ok to leave the feed in the feeder bucket as we did when they were chicks. Don't want the girls to get porky. lol They don't seem to be eating any more than they did and even a bit less in this TX heat right now. Just wondering when or if I need to start measuring out a certain amount per hen. Their run is natural grass and they get the occasional suicidal bug crawling through and also there is mixed grasses in there for them to eat.

Feed Ad Libitum (as in, always available) - or you can take it in overnight, when they aren't eating anyways. The Cornish X is famed for eating to morbidity, pretty much no other breed is - and certainly not any of the breeds typically used as layers.

Most poultry nutrition problems originate from a poor choice of feed and/or an excess of treats, not from the feed being always available.

Feed Ad Libitum (as in, always available) - or you can take it in overnight, when they aren't eating anyways. The Cornish X is famed for eating to morbidity, pretty much no other breed is - and certainly not any of the breeds typically used as layers.

Most poultry nutrition problems originate from a poor choice of feed and/or an excess of treats, not from the feed being always available.
awesome thanks so much!

I leave feed available for them. I feel limiting the treats is what needs to be done so they don’t get over weight. It is tempting not to give to many treats

Back
Top Bottom