Feeding Red Broilers

cluckey

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
We have our first batch of Red Broilers. They are 5 weeks old. I have been feeding them regular Chick Grower/Starter as we also had laying chicks at the same time. Obviously the laying chicks will stay on that feed until they are ready to lay, but what I'm having a hard time finding is when and what to switch them over to finisher or all flock feed. These are supposed to be slower growing than the Cornish X's and I'm hoping to let them free range in the next week or so until we butcher them. Anyone have any experience/suggestions?
Thanks

Almost every feed bag has feeding instructions for types and ages of chickens with a chart of all the feed that manufacturer makes. That is the first place I would look since only the manufacturer knows what is in their feed - we don't.
If it were me, I'd try a 20-22% till about 4 or 5 weeks, cut back to 18% for a couple weeks and then go to 15% till slaughter.

Last edited:
I think I messed that up. I have been feeding them 18% this whole time. Does that mess things up?

No. You're fine. More protein would have added more meat earlier but they'll be OK. 18 isn't bad. Too much protein too early can be a problem as well.

Back
Top Bottom